Uses of NM cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

In 334.10 it says that Nm can be used in attached or detached garages,and their storage building. But I am confused if on the exposed part they mean it doesn't a 15 minute finish rating. Can NM be run in a detached garage? I quess I'm not sure of 334.10(3). Can I run NM cable across the studs in a detached garage ( through the holes I drill ).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Some areas will allow that install however I believe that would be non compliant. You need to run the nm cable parallel with framing members. Obviously if sheetrock is applied then it does not matter. Read 334.15

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In 334.10 it says that Nm can be used in attached or detached garages,and their storage building. But I am confused if on the exposed part they mean it doesn't a 15 minute finish rating. Can NM be run in a detached garage? I quess I'm not sure of 334.10(3). Can I run NM cable across the studs in a detached garage ( through the holes I drill ).

Some areas will allow that install however I believe that would be non compliant. You need to run the nm cable parallel with framing members. Obviously if sheetrock is applied then it does not matter. Read 334.15

I don't see why he couldn't run the NM through drilled holes. The code just says not across the bottom of joists unless it is larger cable or on running boards.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I don't see why he couldn't run the NM through drilled holes. The code just says not across the bottom of joists unless it is larger cable or on running boards.

I agree that if it is run through drilled holes it should be acceptable.
I think the OP is asking about exposed NM run at right angles to the studs of a detached garage.

The 2011 NEC 334.10(1) specifically gives the permission for use in an attached or detached garage.

334.15(A) says exposed NM has to closely follow the surface.

So, yes, one can run the NM through drilled holes . . . but, the NM has to closely follow the surface of the framing. That is, going free air stud to stud, exposed, is not allowed. If the wall is going to be covered (sheetrock, panel, etc.) as part of the job, then, as Dennis noted above, you can run stud to stud in free air.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I agree that if it is run through drilled holes it should be acceptable.

Thanks Al

Bill & Rick did you read art. 334.15(A)-- Please tell me how you can run horizontal thru holes in studs and still comply, unless it is not exposed.

guschash

Thanks for replies. I read 334 many times but I was still confuse on its use in garages, storage buildings. I pretty much figured its AHJ call. Some areas they want MC other areas are ok with NM. Just thought I would ask.

gus

al hildenbrand

Occupation
It is allowed here.
No accounting for local exceptions.

I find it interesting, when I hear of this, 'cause I've never worked in a jurisdiction that allowed garage exposed stud to stud threading since I apprenticed back in the Sixties. And I've never worked in a jurisdiction that refused to allow NM, either.

iMuse97

Easy, drill holes, place end of Nm through first hole and pull to the next.:p

It is allowed here.

This method also makes handy hanger spots for oily rags, and a temporary shelf for the occasional can of spray paint, paint thinner, or WD-40, or whatever. That's what the walls looked like in the garage when I was a kid. My mom always hung a towel or two right by the door on the NM so you could wipe off anything that needed it before coming in the house. ;)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
This method also makes handy hanger spots for oily rags, and a temporary shelf for the occasional can of spray paint, paint thinner, or WD-40, or whatever. That's what the walls looked like in the garage when I was a kid. My mom always hung a towel or two right by the door on the NM so you could wipe off anything that needed it before coming in the house. ;)
The thing I have seen to many times to count is the space between studs stuffed with scraps of building material and/or long handled tools, and the NM has been stretched to accept the most possible.

RICK NAPIER

For 334.15(a) on an unfinished wall the studs are the interrior finish and you can't follow it much more closely than being in it. At least that is the general interpetation around here.

For 334.15(b) protection from physical damage is always a concern. In the case of unfinished garages running the cables through the studs close to the ceiling keeps them away from rakes and shovels. If NM cable is in a location subject to physical damage it would have to be protected.

Status
Not open for further replies.