Door Jamb Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I'll be installing a couple of door jamb switches in the near future. The switches come with a built in Jbox and it looks like they are to be cut right into the jamb. Any comments regarding the installation will be greatly appreciated since I've never tackled these before.

Last edited:

gndrod

jamb light switch

jamb light switch

I'll be installing a couple of door jamb switches in the near future. The switches come with a built in Jbox and it looks like they are to be cut right into the jamb. Any comments regarding the installation will be greatly appreciated since I've never tackled these before.

Hi Tom, Google up Smarthome for a 600w light switch. $9.32.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes, they're cut right into the jamb and they're a pain in the butt. Also the JB is so small I'm not sure how they're even legal to install. I always use a piece of 14/2 AC cable so you only end up with 2-#14 conductors in the box. If I needed to install a lot of them I would make up a jig and cut them in with a router. Would be much faster than a hammer and chisel. Here's one in my closet that was installed with a hammer and wood chisel:

_DSC5417.JPG

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Yes, they're cut right into the jamb and they're a pain in the butt. Also the JB is so small I'm not sure how they're even legal to install. I always use a piece of 14/2 AC cable so you only end up with 2-#14 conductors in the box. If I needed to install a lot of them I would make up a jig and cut them in with a router. Would be much faster than a hammer and chisel. Here's one in my closet that was installed with a hammer and wood chisel:

_DSC5417.JPG

You have a point I have wondered about also. With the box being only 6 cubic inches, it has to be on the border if legal at all. a 14/2wg would fill that...

Last edited:

stickboy1375

FYI, those are a real pain, I install Remcon Closet Relays along with NC alarm magnets, so much easier to install in my opinion.
I install the relay in the fixture, then just run a 18-2 to the magnet location, you can get recessed magnets or surface, whatever application meets your needs.

8E3c44S9KR.jpg

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Door jamb switches are awful. I won't put them in.

I do what Stickboy. Much better set up. Easier to put in and works better.

I will from now on... Thanks for the link stickboy. Learn something new everyday.

hurk27

I have put many in but I just use my rotozip, and drill out the stud in back of it, of course that is new construction, now retro fitting one, to me would require a hole in the drywall, I have seen some installs where they removed the trim and snuck the NM behind it, but not a good idea.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Gee....I'm not liking what I'm reading so far. This is new construction and I'll sure look into Sticks' suggestion but the goods are already on site waiting for me. Wondering if a Fein tool would make the cut in easier?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We rough them in but the actual install is for the trim carpenters. I general cut the king stud and the jack to accommodate the switch and then leave a 14/2 nm there. I give the box to the trim guys to set.

Be careful to learn where the hinges will be set as you don't want the box where a hinge would be. Generally we install them just below the top hinge.

stickboy1375

Gee....I'm not liking what I'm reading so far. This is new construction and I'll sure look into Sticks' suggestion but the goods are already on site waiting for me. Wondering if a Fein tool would make the cut in easier?

If you insist on using them, do as suggested, notch out the studs on rough in, make sure you know every door swing, and hinge location, and have the trim guys cut out the switch itself. They are not impossible to install, just a lot of work vs what I pictured.

JDB3

A builder that I have lets me cut the stud (that the hinges screw into) where the door jam switch will go [I cut it just a bit bigger than the box that the switch goes into] (it is double studs, so it does not weaken the framing to a great degree)

stickboy1375

A builder that I have lets me cut the stud (that the hinges screw into) where the door jam switch will go [I cut it just a bit bigger than the box that the switch goes into] (it is double studs, so it does not weaken the framing to a great degree)

They are called jack studs and king studs... and, in a non bearing wall, you're probably correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.