Power Company frustration

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiddrock

I called in for a service drop and was told they couldn't drop it until 10 days from now, but yet last week we had one that was dropped same day and one that was dropped next day (same POCO for all 3). The only difference is the current one doesn't have a meter because of a small fire. I guess without a meter spinning they could care less about our schedule to perform work. The funny thing is, the longer they take to drop it, the longer it will be before that meter spins again. Do any of you guys have problems like this ? It always seems like a constant battle for us.:thumbsdown:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I called in for a service drop and was told they couldn't drop it until 10 days from now, but yet last week we had one that was dropped same day and one that was dropped next day (same POCO for all 3). The only difference is the current one doesn't have a meter because of a small fire. I guess without a meter spinning they could care less about our schedule to perform work. The funny thing is, the longer they take to drop it, the longer it will be before that meter spins again. Do any of you guys have problems like this ? It always seems like a constant battle for us.:thumbsdown:

It sounds like you are stuck with a central office representative. They know little about the actual trade. What they are concerned with is the time scheduling for the service crews. Ask to speak to a construction supervisor, or operations supervisor. Most of them will understand. Around here, we generally have next day service, and sometimes can wait and reinstall the drop if the work doesn't take too long. Is it Dominion?

kiddrock

It sounds like you are stuck with a central office representative. They know little about the actual trade. What they are concerned with is the time scheduling for the service crews. Ask to speak to a construction supervisor, or operations supervisor. Most of them will understand. Around here, we generally have next day service, and sometimes can wait and reinstall the drop if the work doesn't take too long. Is it Dominion?

Already spoke with someone in operations last night. I don't know if they were a supervisor but I asked for one , and they said that there was no one else that could help with this issue. And yes it is Dominion. If it were an eye bolt with SE cable I would just drop it myself but it's a pipe mast with mast as point of attachment, so there's nothing I can do.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Already spoke with someone in operations last night. I don't know if they were a supervisor but I asked for one , and they said that there was no one else that could help with this issue. And yes it is Dominion. If it were an eye bolt with SE cable I would just drop it myself but it's a pipe mast with mast as point of attachment, so there's nothing I can do.

This is just a question, not a suggestion. Can you not drop it yourself? Or is it over something dangerous(road, water, etc) I understand your situation, and would not suggest anything illegal, wrong, or out of the ordinary, but sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission;)

kiddrock

This is just a question, not a suggestion. Can you not drop it yourself? Or is it over something dangerous(road, water, etc) I understand your situation, and would not suggest anything illegal, wrong, or out of the ordinary, but sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission;)

We can't drop it. It's a mast with the mast serving as point of attachment. All overhead conductors are still energized. Like I said, if were an eye bolt we would drop it ourselves.

GUNNING

complications

complications

Im thinking maybe there is a hold on the address. Something is making them say no can do. Find a friendly voice, be polite and courteous, and ask nice what is the hold up. What hoops do you have to jump through to get this done. Maybe its an outstanding balance or the fire marshal has an ongoing investigation or the right permits have not been pulled yet or ... something. Ask the right person and go with the flow. Remember to charge for downtime. The owner of the property might want to help at that point.

It has been my experience its $'s involved. Somebody owes' and somebody is going to pay.:angel:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
We can't drop it. It's a mast with the mast serving as point of attachment.
All overhead conductors are still energized. Like I said, if were an eye bolt we would drop it ourselves.

well, the poco own's the drop, and i'd never suggest doing anything inappropriate,
but i've seen situations such as this one, where two pieces of mule tape, timber
hitched to the service lateral, and tied off to separate points on the structure,
have supported that service lateral quite nicely while the service riser was changed,
repaired, or whatever.

just what i've observed in passing....

i'm assuming this is on a residence.....

jumper

well, the poco own's the drop, and i'd never suggest doing anything inappropriate,
but i've seen situations such as this one, where two pieces of mule tape, timber
hitched to the service lateral, and tied off to separate points on the structure,
have supported that service lateral quite nicely while the service riser was changed,
repaired, or whatever.

just what i've observed in passing....

i'm assuming this is on a residence.....

Dominion VA Power is real picky, common sense is not allowed on this coast. You gotta wait.:rant:

growler

Do any of you guys have problems like this ? It always seems like a constant battle for us.:thumbsdown:

I had real problem with a power company about two years ago but it was not a human problem it was their darn computer. I had an inspection that was passed/called in and a hook up scheduled and even two trucks from the power company at the job site and they wouldn't/couldn't do anything until their computer generated the proper work order.

The guys from the power company waited around for about an hour for the paper work to clear and it didn't. I hooked the house back to temporary power and it was another three days before we could do a permanent hook up.

It makes me feel helpless to be screwed by a machine, you can't even threaten the darn thing.

stevenje

It has been my experience its $'s involved. Somebody owes' and somebody is going to pay.:angel:

You hit the nail on the head. I don't know how many times there has been a "problem" on a job, or a scheduling delay (unpaid sub contractors or city fees not paid) that is really a problem about money.

kiddrock

You hit the nail on the head. I don't know how many times there has been a "problem" on a job, or a scheduling delay (unpaid sub contractors or city fees not paid) that is really a problem about money.

It's really not a money problem as far as the account at the property, but (like I said in my previous post's) it is a money problem for the POCO because there is no meter present. That's the problem!!!

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have seen them dogged off to the structure.....
cut and taped one at a time.......service change finished.......resupported to mast.......
high pressure crimps reapplied........;)

wow. what a coincidence... we must have seen the same job....

cept here they use a butt splice that is unique to the poco....
good thing i have a couple boxes of them... for reference use,
so i will know for sure what they look like....

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I had a job last year simply replacing a 2" rigid riser. Arranged with POCO to disconnect at 8:00 AM, inspector to come about 12:00, POCO to come back & reconnect. POCO came in AM, disconnected & hung triplex back at pole. We did our work & inspector came shortly after 12:00. I called POCO, they had to wait for computer notice from inspection. Later said they didn't get it until 3:30, was about 7:30when they finally came. I took my generator to temp him, it died on spot, great. Next job like that, I have a generator on site up front or I reconnect the triplex myself. To heck with waiting all day when arrangements were already made. Customer had heard me make some of the calls ahead of time & knew I'd done what I could. I'm sure inspector didn't delay his reporting; he knew the circumstances. With my later calls, I kept telling POCO I had a signed approval by inspector that I could show to a crew. Nope, had to wait for computer notice.

ksmith846

I had a job last year simply replacing a 2" rigid riser. Arranged with POCO to disconnect at 8:00 AM, inspector to come about 12:00, POCO to come back & reconnect. POCO came in AM, disconnected & hung triplex back at pole. We did our work & inspector came shortly after 12:00. I called POCO, they had to wait for computer notice from inspection. Later said they didn't get it until 3:30, was about 7:30when they finally came. I took my generator to temp him, it died on spot, great. Next job like that, I have a generator on site up front or I reconnect the triplex myself. To heck with waiting all day when arrangements were already made. Customer had heard me make some of the calls ahead of time & knew I'd done what I could. I'm sure inspector didn't delay his reporting; he knew the circumstances. With my later calls, I kept telling POCO I had a signed approval by inspector that I could show to a crew. Nope, had to wait for computer notice.

Keep some Polaris Taps on hand for those occasions and reconnect it yourself..........customer will be happy at least....

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

You have to understand the situation from the POCO side(sometimes). We are required by the AHJ to wait for a phone call or computer notification before connecting or reconnecting services. Even though the job passed inspection, the AHJ(county or city inspection office) will hold all inspections until ALL fees are paid. The inspector turns in his inspections to someone in the office, it is up to them to check for fee payment and call or send in notification to the POCO. It has been my experience the delay is the fault of the office help, whether at the AHJ office, or sometimes even the office help(account representatives) at our office.

jmellc

Occupation
You have to understand the situation from the POCO side(sometimes). We are required by the AHJ to wait for a phone call or computer notification before connecting or reconnecting services. Even though the job passed inspection, the AHJ(county or city inspection office) will hold all inspections until ALL fees are paid. The inspector turns in his inspections to someone in the office, it is up to them to check for fee payment and call or send in notification to the POCO. It has been my experience the delay is the fault of the office help, whether at the AHJ office, or sometimes even the office help(account representatives) at our office.

I have an account & get billed monthly for permits. Payments have nothing to do with the situation. Arrangements had been made ahead of time. I had talked to people there several times to be sure this would happen as needed. "Oh yes, all is fine" I hear. Then it's "we don't have notification" & "no your signed document from inspector will not do for us".

jumper

I have an account & get billed monthly for permits. Payments have nothing to do with the situation. Arrangements had been made ahead of time. I had talked to people there several times to be sure this would happen as needed. "Oh yes, all is fine" I hear. Then it's "we don't have notification" & "no your signed document from inspector will not do for us".

That's Dominion. I was lucky at my old work, a major account-they are there ASAP, but at home-service at times.:rant:

jumper

Yes, bureaucracy and paper work is what it is, but it can be a real PITA.

jmellc

Occupation
At any rate, I will not be held up by POCO again, or my customer messed up. I'll hook it up myself & be done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.