AFCI In Bathrooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm1031

If you install AFCI breakers in the bathroon is that ok? One is the the outlet circuit and the other one is for the heater/light/exhaustfan.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Why would you want to do that? Afci protection is not required for bathroom circuits. Also, if you are talking about a dwelling unit, you cannot put the breaker, whether or not it is of the AFCI type, inside the bathroom itself. Reference 240.24(E).

cm1031

Is more better?

Is more better?

If the AFCI is good for the rest of the house why not do the bathroom as well? The main braker box is in the basement.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
There is no rule that prohibits using an AFCI breaker (located outside the bathroom) to serve loads within a bathroom, if that is what you are asking. Regarding your question of, "Is more better," or whether what is good for one room is not also good for another room, my answer is that it would be a waste of money. But since it is not my money, I have no other comment to offer.

renosteinke

Is our new member clear on the differences between a GFCI and and AFCI?

You still need the GFCI for the receptacle.

Old house or new? It's possible that an old house would have the same circuit serve the bathroom as other rooms. There is no problem with using an AFCI breaker AND a GFCI device for the bathroom.

cm1031

Do know that a GFGI is needed for the bathroom. It is a newer house and finishing the basement and went with all AFCI breakers for the new circuits and was worried about nuisance tripping of the AFCI breakers that I installed for the bathrooms.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Do know that a GFGI is needed for the bathroom. It is a newer house and finishing the basement and went with all AFCI breakers for the new circuits and was worried about nuisance tripping of the AFCI breakers that I installed for the bathrooms.

Welcome!
Are you serious... you did not know that GFCI are required in a bathroom for the receptacle outlet?
I wonder if you are qualified to post on this forum. What is a METER shop??

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Are you serious... you did not know that GFCI are required in a bathroom for the receptacle outlet?
Actually, he said he does know . . .
Do know that a GFGI is needed for the bathroom. . .
AFCI nuisance tripping is always a concern. What is the AFCI manufacturer? Arguably, GE's CAFCI MOD 3 is the stablest of the four different combination-type AFCIs because its circuitry doesn't have the ground fault sensing component that the others do.

One thought. If the customer wanted all AFCI, that's one thing. But if it was your decision to go beyond the requirements of the NEC, and one or more of those circuits (especially existing circuits) starts acting up, then you're on the hook, and will probably have an interesting negotiation to figure out the best solution.

The problem with existing circuits is that it is hard to know the quality of the installation that one can't see, or examine. Neutral integrity has to be near perfect.

Last edited:

Volta

Welcome!
I wonder if you are qualified to post on this forum. What is a METER shop??

Now I'm wondering if I can post here. :ashamed1:

Is it where I pick-up a meter base that the local POCO furnishes for me to install?
Is it where the authorized Fluke dealer has a place of business?
Is it where the poets decide what rhythm to use in a verse?
Is it where they repair the pay-timers we so often find next to parking spaces?
Is it where they stretch out old outdated yardsticks?

:?

cm1031

Thie wiring was done on my house by myself. I think AFCI breakers are a great and wanted to have the protection of the AFCI breakers in all of the new circuits in wiring for the basement project that is being done and my concern is if there would be any nuisane tripping of the AFCI breakers installed for the bathroom circuits. Do know that the AFCI breakers are not required for the bathroom circuits but wanted the protection and peace of mind that the AFCI breakers provide for our family. Somebody ask what is a meter shop and the one where I worked is where electric meters for the power company are repaired and tested.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.