transfer switch below meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steviechia2

I inspected a job where
1) non service rated/non fused manual transfer switch is outside below meter with a 30 amp/4 wire receptacle next to it
2) GEC was not brought to transfer switch
3) grounds and neutrals not separated at panel
My Question is this-
I know this has to be service rated, but doesn't this also have to be fused according to 230.91

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
230.91 would allow the OCP to be "immediately adjacent" to the disconnecting means (or an integral part)

ceb58

230.91 would allow the OCP to be "immediately adjacent" to the disconnecting means (or an integral part)

I think most would agree :D

Well................. I guess so.
Something that makes me think, very dangerous, is 230.70 (A)(1) location either outside or inside nearest point of entry. Then 230.91 "part of or located immediately".
Now if I set a meter base, I can wrap SE cable around the building 20 times if I want to with out a disco/ocp. But when I penetrate the building I must follow the " closest point of entry" rule.
Now I know that a disco. is required before the ATS but by 230.91 "OCP located immediately thereto". So what would be the difference if from the ATS you penetrated the building directly into an OC device?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Non fused service entrance rated TS are available...meaning that would be required in this case. As far as separating the neutrals and grounds, where the service entrance is would determine where that is required (downstream). If the TS is service rated then IMO it becomes the service, and all past is a feeder.

Electrician needs to start over...

kwired

Electron manager
I inspected a job where
1) non service rated/non fused manual transfer switch is outside below meter with a 30 amp/4 wire receptacle next to it
2) GEC was not brought to transfer switch
3) grounds and neutrals not separated at panel
My Question is this-
I know this has to be service rated, but doesn't this also have to be fused according to 230.91

Hopefully it was not a receptacle but was an inlet.

Non fused service entrance rated TS are available...meaning that would be required in this case. As far as separating the neutrals and grounds, where the service entrance is would determine where that is required (downstream). If the TS is service rated then IMO it becomes the service, and all past is a feeder.

Electrician needs to start over...

Looking in Square D catalog they have non fused double throw (transfer) switches that are suitable for use as service equipment. They do require fusing but have two diagrams of how to do so. One has fuses on each of the inputs, the other has fuses on the output.

If OP had one of these it can be located where it is, may need to have fuses instead of a circuit breaker as the service disconnect overcurrent device, not positive but that is what I currently see as what is required for these particular units as circuit breakers are not mentioned. If installed this way this switch is not the service disconnect, it is just a point along the service just like the meter. The grounding electrode conductor does not have to land there, but can, and separation of grounded and grounding does not have to take place, there but can. If they are separated there then you can not have bonding jumper in main panel otherwise EGC will be in parallel with neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.