Is PACU considered critical care area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

PACU (which stands for Post- Anesthesia Care Unit) is also called the recovery room. It is a specialized care unit near the operating room where patients who have had surgery are
cared for as they wake up from anesthesia.

I am trying to provide electrical outlets at patient bed inside a PACU area of a healthcare facility. I am wondering if PACU is considered Critical care area?
This will change the outlet quantity that we need to provide at patient bed per NEC-517. Thanks.

PACU (which stands for Post- Anesthesia Care Unit) is also called the recovery room. It is a specialized care unit near the operating room where patients who have had surgery are

I am trying to provide electrical outlets at patient bed inside a PACU area of a healthcare facility. I am wondering if PACU is considered Critical care area?
This will change the outlet quantity that we need to provide at patient bed per NEC-517. Thanks.

You might need to read the NEC 517 definitions, and then you can go from there. In my opinion the answer to your question would be 'YES'.

NEC 517.2 also defines ?critical care area? as an area
where a patient is subjected to an invasive procedure and connected to a line-operated electromedical
device.

pete m.

Patient Care Area. Any portion of a health care facility wherein patients are intended to be examined or treated. Areas of a health care facility in which patient care is administered are classified as general care areas or critical care areas. The governing body of the facility designates these areas in accordance with the type of patient care anticipated and with the following definitions of the area classification.

It seems that the "governing body" needs to be consulted for the determination.

Pete

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Normally I would agree with Pete that its up to the governing body of the hospital.

But, IMO this is clearly critical care, just like an OR would be. If the governing body says otherwise, I would look elsewhere for my health care :)

Status
Not open for further replies.