Grounding electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

arnettda

I inspected a service today to check its grounding. It had been upgraded in the last 5 years. They did not use the metal underground water pipe from the city utility. They drove two ground rods instead. Would you hook to the city water? And if you did would you unhook the ground rods? It also seems that there is still a ground wire comming from underground that goes to the POCO meter. I asume it goes to the neutral lug. What are your thoughts?
Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The water pipe if 10' long underground is required to be connected to the building GES. It's also requires a supplemental electrode, such as the two ground rods. You need to connect all electrodes that are present to the GES.

raider1

Staff member
Per....(insert)

250.50 requires all grounding electrodes that are present to be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system.

250.53(D)(2) requires the underground metal water pipe to be supplemented with an additional electrode and if that electrode happens to be a ground rod then the ground rod is required to meet 250.56 (2008 NEC) or 250.53(A)(2) (2011 NEC).

Chris

jumper

250.50 requires all grounding electrodes that are present to be bonded together to form the grounding electrode system.

250.53(D)(2) requires the underground metal water pipe to be supplemented with an additional electrode and if that electrode happens to be a ground rod then the ground rod is required to meet 250.56 (2008 NEC) or 250.53(A)(2) (2011 NEC).

Chris

Thank you, I knew it was in there-but I forgot where.:ashamed1:

Derek

arnettda

I am curious as to why someone would pay to have the grounding checked.

It started with a bad surge arrestor and power strip, which happened when the poco had some grounds disconnected on the pole that feeds the building which all happened when the phone co was locating some underground lines next to the building. The bad sure arrestor was tripping the main breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.