Is this UPS installation compliant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie4now

We are adding a battery backup to an ADA door operator at a retail store. It's pretty straight forward since the operator is on its own circuit. The plan is to add the UPS at the panel, so we were planning on doing the following:

1) Reroute the door operator circuit from the electrical panel to a new j-box near the panel.
2) Mount the UPS near the new j-box and run power from the panel into the j-box.
3) Run the power cord from the UPS into the j-box, cut off the plug and hard-wire it inside the j-box.
4) Take a pigtail, plug it into the ups, run it into the j-box and hard-wire it to the operator circuit.

The 2 problems I see are: 1) Cutting off the plug and hard-wiring the UPS may be a violation and plugging in the pigtail and running it tinto the j-box may be a violation. If these are violations, can someone give a reference? Any suggestions of a better way are welcomed.

Thanks

pete m.

Using cord as a substitute for a permanent wiring method is not permitted. Don't have my NEC with me at the moment but you can find that in 400.7 or 400.8 (I think)

Pete

grich

Occupation
Broadcast Engineer
Using cord as a substitute for a permanent wiring method is not permitted. Don't have my NEC with me at the moment but you can find that in 400.7 or 400.8 (I think)

Pete

Good code memory.:)
Here's a ECM article written by MH which summarizes the subject: http://ecmweb.com/nec/code-basics/flexible-cords-cables-fixture-wire-20100601/

One of the radio stations I care for had a similar setup with a UPS and several SJO cords that plugged into it going to a JB and several building circuits. It ain't that way anymore. ;)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
What if the OP just provided a recepacle for the UPS, and just plugged in the UPS? That should be allowed.

But there would still be a cord and plug from the UPS to a Jbox that feeds the Door Operator. But that's still allowed, correct?

STeve

rookie4now

What if the OP just provided a recepacle for the UPS, and just plugged in the UPS? That should be allowed.

But there would still be a cord and plug from the UPS to a Jbox that feeds the Door Operator. But that's still allowed, correct?

STeve

I think the argument is as Pete M mentioned. He's saying the NEC doesn't allow the substitution of a plug and cord for permanent wiring. The question then is, since the operator is hard-wired, how do I connect it to the UPS? I guess I could remove the receptacle from the UPS and hard-wire the operator circuit, but that seems like a UL problem. Perhaps there are hared-wired UPS units I could use.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Just install a proper recep for the UPS input and install a male flanged power inlet on the load wires going to the door opener. Then just use a male/female cord set on the output side. Simple, neat and safe and IMO code compliant. Done it many times.

rookie4now

Just install a proper recep for the UPS input and install a male flanged power inlet on the load wires going to the door opener. Then just use a male/female cord set on the output side. Simple, neat and safe and IMO code compliant. Done it many times.

I like the idea. I assume you are saying to punch a hole in the j-box and install a flanged power inlet then run conduit to that j-box for the load wires. It's neat and clean. My question is that it seems that you are still violating 400.7 by using the flexible cord in a permanent installation. Is there a reason 400.7 doesn't apply to this installation? I agree it is a perfectly good way of doing it, I'm speaking only of actual compliance here.

Thanks.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I believe it is compliant. 400.7 (8). I typically use a 6x6x4 NEMA 1 box and punch the lid to accept the flanged inlet.

I also believe its allowed as long as the cord is just a short plug-tail (as opposed to running it 30' above a suspended ceiling and through walls.), and as long as the cord is accessible.

It seems like its similar to the way dishwashers are often cord and plug connected.

Steve

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Sounds like steve66 is in my camp on this. I aggree, the cord can't go all over or be attached to the structure. I'm surprised nobody mentioned this:

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=134709&highlight=power+feed

I was also in the camp that says this is compliant. In fact, we have done that for years with our own parts before it was commercially available. The "power Bridge" brand is by no means the only one available-there are numerous well known companies making these now. It's beyond me why so many think this is not compliant. It is often used so you can feed the TV with a UPS located below in a cabinet. Similar to this OP's situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.