CT's In Switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
In my area we would provide the switchgear with provisions for the utility to mount their CTs to. We do not provide the CTs, I think the power company likes to supply their own cash register.

zog

All depends on what is speced, but normally all the CT's should come with the gear.

Your question is a little vauge, some of us picture different things when you say "switchgear", can you provide some more info?

iwire

Staff member
All depends on what is speced, but normally all the CT's should come with the gear.

In what applications?

If the CTs are there for utility metering we never supply them, obviously if the CTs are in place for GFP or the customers own metering we provide them.

zog

In what applications?

Switchgear, metal enclosed switchgear with power circuit breakers. Not an oversized panel for a Taco Bell. As usual we have different things in mind so lets see what the OP is asking about, but based on most of his other posts I think he and I are on the same page.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
In my area we would provide the switchgear with provisions for the utility to mount their CTs to. We do not provide the CTs, I think the power company likes to supply their own cash register.

lol.. i hear ya..but installed by EC, right?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
THis is an old drawing I came across and was wondering..MV gear
The CTs shown on that snipet have nothing to do with metering. They are part of various forms of protection. I see differential, and both line and ground overcurrent protection indicated.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Most, but not all utilities prefer a seperate enclosure for their metering equipment, Just got back from looking at some gear in Minnesota, where one store had the metering equipment as part of the gear, complete with padlock and seal, but another store a few miles away had a CT cabinet outside. The majority of the POCO's here in the south mount their CT's in transformers on the stabs. In Indianna I've seen special cabinets that look like cellar doors that house the CT's on buss bars.

Status
Not open for further replies.