Delta system

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgordon

Occupation
Electrician
Can i use a 480/ 277 volt wye generator to feed a 480 volt delta fed building ?

1200 amp whole building ATS and generator

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
I ran into a problem with this type of system because the UL listed ATS could only sense phase voltages and Onan would not modify the switch for line-to-line voltage sensing because it would compromise the UL listing.
So what seems like a straightforward application where you just use the line voltages from the Y system to power the delta loads, becomes a problem when going through an ATS.

John M

Last edited:

buddhakii

Make sure you get an ATS with a switched neutral so you have a SDS. I am working on a project that has a delta service and wye gen. Installing the ATS next month. Hope everything works properly.

kwired

Electron manager
Is the Delta grounded, or ungrounded? If grounded is it corner grounded or mid point of a phase?

The answers to these questions can change what you may or may not be able to do.

Remember solidly grounded wye needs ground fault protection where the delta would not.

cdslotz

delta-high-leg-diagram1.png

Smart $

Esteemed Member

Remember solidly grounded wye needs ground fault protection where the delta would not.
Can you elaborate on your statement? My brain is currently drawing a blank on the concept of NO ground fault protection being permitted.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can you elaborate on your statement? My brain is currently drawing a blank on the concept of NO ground fault protection being permitted.

I believe that he's thinking of 250.95 but that would only apply when the amperage reached 1000 amps or more.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I believe that he's thinking of 250.95 but that would only apply when the amperage reached 1000 amps or more.
Hmmm... I can't locate a 250.95 in either 2008 or 2011 NEC. Even if it were there, that is the Part on Bonding???

Perhaps you are thinking of 250.21(B), which requires ground fault detectors on [permitted-to-be] ungrounded systems of greater than 120 volts but not exceeding 1000 volts...

kwired

Electron manager

Can i use a 480/ 277 volt wye generator to feed a 480 volt delta fed building ?

1200 amp whole building ATS and generator

It is 230.95. Maybe you just had a typo infinity?

OP has 1200 amp delta. 230.95 requires GF protection @1000+ but only says solidly grounded wye systems.

215.10 also requires same thing for feeders.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

OP has 1200 amp delta. 230.95 requires GF protection @1000+ but only says solidly grounded wye systems.

But this is not to say there is no ground fault protection [or detection] for delta systems. It simply addresses the fact that on solidly grounded wye systems that gf current on [unprotected] grounded conductor can exceed that of any one ungrounded conductor.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
But this is not to say there is no ground fault protection [or detection] for delta systems. It simply addresses the fact that on solidly grounded wye systems that gf current on [unprotected] grounded conductor can exceed that of any one ungrounded conductor.

All I was getting at was the fact that he has a delta service that would not require GF protection system, and he is thinking about using a wye generator as a standby. The wye system will require GF protection if solidly grounded neutral. He did not say if the service is ungrounded, corner grounded, or if it has mid point of one phase grounded. We may also need to know what options the generator may have before we know what he can do with it. If the service is corner grounded or ungrounded and the generator is capable of selecting which conductor is grounded it may be relatively simple to match the service with the generator.

I was just giving the OP some food for thought, since we don't know enough about the installation yet to know what he can or can't do.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Yes it was a typo, should have 230.95.

Status
Not open for further replies.