AFCI required.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strife

I'm doing a house remodeling under the 2008 code and I could swear under the 2008 code the only AFCI's required are basically the general lighting and receptacles.
More to the point I could swear that under the 2008 the dishwasher, disposal, refrigerator and microwave (in my situation) are not required to be AFCI.
The inspector claims that these circuits need to be AFCI's even under the 2008 code.

ceb58

I'm doing a house remodeling under the 2008 code and I could swear under the 2008 code the only AFCI's required are basically the general lighting and receptacles.
More to the point I could swear that under the 2008 the dishwasher, disposal, refrigerator and microwave (in my situation) are not required to be AFCI.
The inspector claims that these circuits need to be AFCI's even under the 2008 code.

Ask for the code reference. Under 210.12 (B) a kitchen is NOT listed as a place that is required to have AFCI. The items you listed are in the kitchen correct?

ceb58

I have floors, walls and ceilings in all the rooms in my house. Similar no?;)

So do I. I am sure you have a room or two that also has a toilet, basin and tub/shower. How similar is it to the room that has the stove, refrigerator,dishwasher and sink? Other than floors,walls and ceiling:D

that dont I guess the only 120V recepticals in a dwelling unit without some kind of protection on it will be that for deicing, appliances in the kitchen ,and those pesky few in the kitchen that dont serve the counter-top.Am I reading the sections correctly?:weeping:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We have had inspectors that wanted afci for the laundry room while other say not necessary. The kitchen is not intended to be afci protected- not even the lighting in the kitchen.

Status
Not open for further replies.