good for you but no one else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmreschke

Ok here's a question? Any one in here want to fess up to known violations in your own home that you would never do at a customers. For example I've got two of them.
1 I piped in a sub panel in my laundry room fed it with 60 amps and paralleled 10s to feed it. Reason was cost it ran like that for two years and I have since rectified that situation.
2 I installed some track lighting under the soft on my front and rear porches (both imo wet or damp locations as they really aren't covered at all) but the track cannot get wet unless wind blows water up. The heads were for indoor use only I believe. Could be a problem but probably never will.
Just wondering what anyone else has done. Thanks
Chris

480sparky

I have a neutral landed on the grounding bar in my panel. It was like that when I moved in, and I've never changed it.

I also installed some outside receps with just plain flip covers instead of in-use.

renosteinke

Heck, I've got everyone beat hands down: My place is wired by a network of extension cords and "permanently mounted" power strips. Six rooms, six circuits. No bath receptacles, no SABC's, and no AFCI's. The furnace circuit (Romex) has a plug on it, and shares a circuit with one of the extension cords. The extension cords are mostly hung from the walls up high, and pass through a few large holes in the walls. (At least the cords are #12, on 15A breakers).

Now, by note of explanation .... I'm in a forclosed 1957 house that is undergoing a complete gut remodel. Being performed in stages, this project will greatly exceed the 90-day 'temporary' limit. Indeed, I expect it to take three years.

The existing wiring is not being used, because:
1) There's no ground wires (despite the 3-prong receptacles);
2) Evidence of a major attic fire at one point, and the inability to inspect the repairs made to the wires;
3) Physical damage to many of the receptacle and light boxes;
4) The failure of several circuits to pass a megger test; and,
5) Two fire dept calls since 2000 that were attributed to 'electrical shorts.'

I did insert a modern panel after the abused FPE, using the old panel only as a 'main disconnect.' This will last only until I get a service change done- possibly next month.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
I am not a licensed electrician, and I reset tripped breakers in my panel.
smiley-ashamed005.gif

cowboyjwc

Staff member
In my first house there were just two red wires stapled to the rafters in the garage being used as the travelers for a three way switch. When I sold the house the realtor asked me why I had never fixed them and I told her, because they still worked.

jumper

Well, I happen to know a fella who has:

An unpermitted 100 amp sub panel fed by #2 SER in his crawlspace.

A 15 amp convenience circuit in a bathroom.

A base board heater wired to a piece of exposed SJO cord.

A 18 cu ft fridge parked in front of his panel.

A cord connected range hood not on a individual circuit.

Indoor fans on his screen porch that are powered by a piece of UF with a cord cap.

ETC.................He will just not listen.:angel:

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Well since we're confessing our sins, I know a guy who has a splice behind a bathroom mirror, because the recept only needed to move over about a foot and he won't listen to Jumper either.:rant:

glene77is

I have a couple of receptacles that are up side down

Well, maybe! Like the man said "How do you sleep at night !"

The NEMA catalog of recepticals shows ALL grounds up. :happyyes:

I trimmed out a two story school one time, with all isolated-ground recepticals,
and all the wording was readable only with ground-up.
I was just in a hospital with all ground-up hospital-grade recepticals. :happyyes:

Also had an inspector tell me that all grounds-down is the 'American' way. :happyno:
So, there is no winning this up-down game. :?

Last edited:

tkb

I built a garage about 10 years ago and never pulled an EGC to the new panel. The code allowed to reground to neutral at the out building.
I drove 2 ground rods at the garage.

The problem is that I also ran CATV and phone out to the garage as well creating parallel paths so an EGC would have been required anyways.

Someday I will fix it. :slaphead:

pfalcon

I hired a local electrical shop to rewire my 1942 house.

I only had to turn off two separate breakers to shut off the basement lights.
My dishwasher and my SABC were on the same circuit.
And all the receptacles sponged forward and back half an inch when pluggin or unpluggin

They brought a journeyman on the second trip :slaphead:

growler

1 I piped in a sub panel in my laundry room fed it with 60 amps and paralleled 10s to feed it. Reason was cost it ran like that for two years and I have since rectified that situation.

Well, changing over to DC won't help. :happysad:

Little humor there.
:eek:
I think that most of us have tempted things in ways we wouldn't for a customer. The reason we do this is that we are there to keep an eye on the situation and we don't intend to sue ourselves.

If you ran this for a customer it would never get corrected unless something went wrong and then there would be hell to pay.

sii

My mother-in-law's finished garage has about two hundred feet of exposed NM stapled to the wall. I didn't install it but I'm not replacing it either.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Well, maybe! Like the man said "How do you sleep at night !"

The NEMA catalog of recepticals shows ALL grounds up. :happyyes:

I trimmed out a two story school one time, with all isolated-ground recepticals,
and all the wording was readable only with ground-up.
I was just in a hospital with all ground-up hospital-grade recepticals. :happyyes:

Also had an inspector tell me that all grounds-down is the 'American' way. :happyno:
So, there is no winning this up-down game. :?

Check out my avatar.

That's a real receptacle. Beside the grounds, take note that the receptacle and the cover are one and the same.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
HEATHENS!!!

:D

Seriously though, the shoemakers kids have no shoes.:p I don't know any electricians that want to go home and do more electrical work, especially unpaid!! I do this crap all day long!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.