AC vs MC Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been trying to figure out what the difference between AC and MC cable is. I've read the NEC, looked at a ton of pictures, and read forums here (some of you may see your comments below). Could someone please confirm what I think I know so far:

AC cable consists of an outer metal jacket with a bondstrip ran along the inside of it's length and the outer metal armor is filled with individually insulated conductors. AC cable typically has no ECG, just the bondstrip-and-cable armor. However, the armor of the AC cable can be used as an ECG.

MC cable consists of an outer jacket of thin metal armor and is filled with individually insulated conductors which are contained in a jacket. MC cable has an ECG, but the armor isn't suitable for grounding.

Also, could anyone explain what the purpose of the jacket around the insulated conductors in the MC cable is for? I noticed that MC cable is rated for higher voltages than AC ... is this because the conductors have an extra jacketing around them which insulates them from the outer metal jacket?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
So I've been trying to figure out what the difference between AC and MC cable is. I've read the NEC, looked at a ton of pictures, and read forums here (some of you may see your comments below). Could someone please confirm what I think I know so far:

AC cable consists of an outer metal jacket with a bondstrip ran along the inside of it's length and the outer metal armor is filled with individually insulated conductors. AC cable typically has no ECG, just the bondstrip-and-cable armor. However, the armor of the AC cable can be used as an ECG.

MC cable consists of an outer jacket of thin metal armor and is filled with individually insulated conductors which are contained in a jacket. MC cable has an ECG, but the armor isn't suitable for grounding.

Also, could anyone explain what the purpose of the jacket around the insulated conductors in the MC cable is for? I noticed that MC cable is rated for higher voltages than AC ... is this because the conductors have an extra jacketing around them which insulates them from the outer metal jacket?

In simple terms , think of MC as a metallic jacketed Romex, or a cousin of flexible metal conduit with conductors pre-installed.

Note: there is a MC cable on the maket which has an outer jacket suitable for grounding.

defears

I think most people get a warm fuzzy feeling using a copper equipment ground that MC provides. Plus normal MC cable armour is aluminum, which is cheaper than the steel AC armour.

copper chopper

mc cable can be used in more applications than ac cable such as wet locations,if your looking for mc cable where the outer jacket is rated for use as a egc than hospital grade mc cable which is green in color is rated for this...also ac cable has to be supported every 4.5 feet as mc cable every 6 feet. also mc cable is much eaiser to pull through metal studs than ac cable...

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
MC cable doesn't require the red plastic bushing. But everyone including me installs them.

Status
Not open for further replies.