Shop Drawing Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfav8r

We were just awarded a contract, part of which is underground from an on-site utility transformer to the electrical room. The contract came with a request for shop drawings and submittals for the underground. What are they generally looking for with a request like this? We have always just done the work as it made sense based upon filed conditions so this is a little new to us.

Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Our shop drawings typically show equipment layouts, such as transformers, switchgear, panels, etc. as well as conduit layouts. These are submitted for review and are also used for coordination with other mechanical trades. This helps to establish certain things such as conduit paths before the work has begun. This can keep us from running a rack of conduit right through an area that is loaded with duct work or some other obstruction. It also can help to ensure that the runs aren't below the finished ceiling or in the way of a soffit or other architectural structure.

Hendrix

We were just awarded a contract, part of which is underground from an on-site utility transformer to the electrical room. The contract came with a request for shop drawings and submittals for the underground. What are they generally looking for with a request like this? We have always just done the work as it made sense based upon filed conditions so this is a little new to us.

Thanks
They could be looking for a stamped set of drawings from a EE or PE.

sfav8r

Our shop drawings typically show equipment layouts, such as transformers, switchgear, panels, etc. as well as conduit layouts. These are submitted for review and are also used for coordination with other mechanical trades. This helps to establish certain things such as conduit paths before the work has begun. This can keep us from running a rack of conduit right through an area that is loaded with duct work or some other obstruction. It also can help to ensure that the runs aren't below the finished ceiling or in the way of a soffit or other architectural structure.

That's sort of what I was in-visioning. The original bid set of plans showed the equipment locations, but I was thinking they wanted the layout with the actual panels we will be using along with cut sheets on the switch gear.

Do you happen to have a link to a sample that wold show the typical level of detail?

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager

That sounds to me like the engineers job. How are you supposed to bid something if this information is not already drawn out , unless you are designing and bidding.

Several other trades doing their own design and bid on same project sounds like one to stay away from. There needs to be one design team.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
That's sort of what I was in-visioning. The original bid set of plans showed the equipment locations, but I was thinking they wanted the layout with the actual panels we will be using along with cut sheets on the switch gear.

Do you happen to have a link to a sample that wold show the typical level of detail?

Thanks

This is likely what they are looking plan. Cut sheets of equipment as well as a routing plan for the underground portion to show you are coordinated with the other trades.

cadpoint

Frankly, in my opinion you need to talk to a surveyor, to me this is what it sounds like is needed and it equates to what will be a Site Plan, with their seal.

The surveyor can add additional information of other underground utilities, properties broundries, right of ways, and exact physical momuments of the property.

Depending on the State, you can reproduce a sealed drawing like a this with premmission from the engineer or
surveyor, but it can get really messy usually and not recommended. If it's real tight to other existing services, you pay for a site plan and the surveyor to survey and flag your job.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
That sounds to me like the engineers job. How are you supposed to bid something if this information is not already drawn out , unless you are designing and bidding.

Several other trades doing their own design and bid on same project sounds like one to stay away from. There needs to be one design team.

The engineers do the load calculations and provide one line drawings etc. Shop drawings contain information,usually provided by the installer, as to how the engineered drawings will be installed with conduit run and equipment layouts etc. Also shop drawing may contain value engineering changes that the installer has decided to implement for ease of installation or to save money.

GearMan

Thanks

Since you mention an original set of plans, take a look at the submittal process in the spec. If submittal is required, normally the material and lay-out needs to be approved prior to install. The panels and gear you mention for shop drawings would also have to be reviewed. Don't get yourself in a jam and purchase material prior to approval. If there is no spec., ask for clarification as submittal, shop, factory, approval and record drawings can mean different things to different people. Your (good) supplier for the material can put together a submittal package if you request that for the material. If that is what is required. Do a little more digging. Don't get burned on the fine print. :slaphead:

kwired

Electron manager
The engineers do the load calculations and provide one line drawings etc. Shop drawings contain information,usually provided by the installer, as to how the engineered drawings will be installed with conduit run and equipment layouts etc. Also shop drawing may contain value engineering changes that the installer has decided to implement for ease of installation or to save money.

But there has to be enough specifications for you to start with, like what spaces are reserved for service equipment, or other gear, what spaces are reserved for equipment from other trades, things like that.

How are you supposed to tell them where you are going to run a raceway if you don't know wherer a HVAC duct will be run or where plumbing lines will be?

Value engineering? I take an example of that to be use of MC cable instead of raceways. Majority of plans I have seen that is not my call to make. If they did not include MC cable in specifications they don't want MC cable, but you better make two offers to owner or GC, one with things done as specified, and one with your value engineering included and notation stating it can be done that way at that cost if the designer approves changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.