Halo H50 mystery recessed light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

I have a renovation I am in the middle of and there are 3 Halo H50 cans. They are old. The cans say use only H50 trim. Internet search
only turns up a poor chap with the same problem. Here is the forum. http://www.diychatroom.com/f18/halo-h50-trim-instalation-86462/
it has a picture of the sticker on the forum. These are 5 inch cans not 6 inch not 4 inch. any trim I tried of 5 inch does not even fit. The only other thing I noticed about these cans that I thought was odd was the wire box where you wire the can is built in to the top of the can. This seems Odd because I would think it gets hot in the top of the can and it takes a 75 watt max heating up conductors beyond there rating. Maybe this recessed light was discontinued before I was born I do not know. I am 29 so maybe someone older remembers these cans cause I am stumped.

Thanks,
Feel The Power Electric

highvolts582

Might change em

Might change em

Do you have room to open the hole up to 6" and use a new remodel can and trim?

This is doable of course. The logistics of the job is a drunk licensed electrician that got thrown off the job wired half of this house and got partial rough inspections how i do not know . So I have fixed hack work, troubleshooted his horrible work, and said the F word to many times. I am over my time I planned to be at this house and I would rather throw a trim bulb and be done with em. I will do it as a last
resort of course but before I Chuck em I want to learn something about them.

Thanks for a way out Idea.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I came accross a similar can light recently, although I could not find any markings on it. It had the wiring term on top like you describe and the trim was a permanent part of the fixture. You mentioned heat issue on the top mounted wiring-wow, you should have seen this baby, it was toast. We just cut it out and installed a 6" remodel can.

Status
Not open for further replies.