Dumb question about pipe dope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

For the first time ive been running a lot of aluminum conduit. Is the pipe grease supposed to be for sealing or for repealing rust. I noticed on the bottle it said something about maintaining conductivity.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Kopr-shield would not be suitable for use with aluminum conduit. Penetrox A is often specified for aluminum conduit threads. There are other compounds that also could be used. Just like with aluminum conductors, the compounds are intended to prevent the formation of aluminum oxide which is not conductive.

jumper

Kopr-shield would not be suitable for use with aluminum conduit. Penetrox A is often specified for aluminum conduit threads. There are other compounds that also could be used. Just like with aluminum conductors, the compounds are intended to prevent the formation of aluminum oxide which is not conductive.

I should have been more clear. I was not suggesting he use Kopr-shield. I was trying to say that specs may have "pipe dope"/thread compound in them. I used that kopr-shield stuff on Rob Roy RMC we ran at a Transco gas line pumping station in VA.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Regarding your use of the phrase, "pipe dope," I have only heard that used in the context of pipe thread compound, soemthing found in a plumber's toolbox. Does it have an application to our industry as well? Just curious.

John120/240

Regarding your use of the phrase, "pipe dope," I have only heard that used in the context of pipe thread compound, soemthing found in a plumber's toolbox. Does it have an application to our industry as well? Just curious.

Yes "pipe dope" to me means plumber's pipe sealant. Kopr shield, Pentrox A would be used in

the electrical field. Then there is anti seize compound. The context where pipe dope is used is

everything. Granted we are not English majors or even English minors.

Status
Not open for further replies.