3-Way Switch Location (Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotline

Where can I find information related to required 3-way switch locations?
ie.
1. Both sides of living room
2. Front and back door
3. Sliding back door etc

raider1

Staff member
The only requirement for switch locations in located in 210.70(A)(2)(c) for stairways.

The NEC does not require 3 way switches for hallways and rooms.

The locations of switches is a design issue not a code issue.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I just had this very issue with 2 doors leading to the outside patio. There was one light and one switch and the other door was 10' away but to get to the other door you had to walk a good distance in the house around a bathroom and thru a bedroom. Inspector wanted a switch at each door. The lone light illuminated both doors. He insisted on a 3 way or 2 sp. for 2 lights because it was so far away.

The code will allow the switch to be on another floor if you want. Now I don't see why the code is written this way but there is no wording to support another switch. Does anyone know why a switch is not required at the door to a room or outside.

raider1

Staff member
For commercial, I understand. Residential, nope.

Now someone is going to blast me with " it is a design issue" mantra, oh well.:D

IT'S A DESIGN ISSUE!!!! :D:D:D

90.1(C) "This code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons."

Now with that said there a many code requirements that may well be a design issue and not a practical safeguarding issue.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The thought is why require a light outside a door if I have to walk upstairs to turn the light on. More than likely no one would do that. If it is a safety issue then a switch should be installed at each door. Yes? NO?

jumper

IT'S A DESIGN ISSUE!!!! :D:D:D

90.1(C) "This code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons."

Now with that said there a many code requirements that may well be a design issue and not a practical safeguarding issue.

Chris

Yeah, yeah. But gramma does not understand why the kitchen overhead light is controlled by a switch in the basement.:p

raider1

Staff member
The thought is why require a light outside a door if I have to walk upstairs to turn the light on. More than likely no one would do that. If it is a safety issue then a switch should be installed at each door. Yes? NO?

The NEC only requires a lighting outlet not a luminaire. So I could put a j-box on the outside of the door and meet the requirements of 210.70(A)(2)(b).

If we are going to require switches by the door how far from the door are we permitted to place the switch?

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Yeah, yeah. But gramma does not understand why the kitchen overhead light is controlled by a switch in the basement.:p

In all my years as both an electrician and inspector I have never see a kitchen light controlled by a switch located in the basement.;):)

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The NEC only requires a lighting outlet not a luminaire. So I could put a j-box on the outside of the door and meet the requirements of 210.70(A)(2)(b).

If we are going to require switches by the door how far from the door are we permitted to place the switch?

Chris

Actually the NEC requires a switch controlled lighting outlet. There is an except for automatic means 210.70.

I am not saying there should be but the code requires a light yet does not req. the switch to be "X" feet from the door/s.

raider1

Staff member
Actually the NEC requires a switch controlled lighting outlet. There is an except for automatic means 210.70.

I am not saying there should be but the code requires a light yet does not req. the switch to be "X" feet from the door/s.

You missed my point, it was not with the switch but the term "Lighting outlet" which is just a j-box not a luminaire.

I could put a switch controlled j-box on the wall and meet the requirements of 210.70(A)(2)(b).

Again the NEC does not require a luminaire to be installed on the exterior side of a door, just the lighting outlet.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Look at this image and tell me why I can have a switch at one door but don't need it at the other. The green area is the patio and the light is placed so that it illuminates both doors but switch was only in the bedroom. I know it is compliant but why is a switch not req. at the other door.

I have always heard it is a safety issue. It appears the building code does not req. it either.

ry%3D480

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You missed my point, it was not with the switch but the term "Lighting outlet" which is just a j-box not a luminaire.

I could put a switch controlled j-box on the wall and meet the requirements of 210.70(A)(2)(b).

Again the NEC does not require a luminaire to be installed on the exterior side of a door, just the lighting outlet.

Chris

No I didn't miss your point- I meant to quote Jumper. :happyyes: Sorry

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Because I intend to attach a luminare to the j-box someday.;):D

Chris
Yep, I think that argument of not installing a light would not make it in most of the real world.

Actually I did miss your point- somehow I thought I was quoting Jumper but it was you that I was responding to.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Actually Chris, it says "...shall be installed to provide illumination." So my argument would be that it means a fixture has to be installed. Remember it doesn't say "...shall be installed so that it may provide illumination."

hurk27

The only requirement for switch locations in located in 210.70(A)(2)(c) for stairways.

The NEC does not require 3 way switches for hallways and rooms.

The locations of switches is a design issue not a code issue.

Chris
Actually the NEC doesn't require a 3-way for stairs either, you could just put a SP switch at each landing to control a fixture at each landing, as per the wording in the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.