Electrical code changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

If I were the local electrical inspector of my city, I would add the following requirements for every house sold, before a certificate of occupancy can be obtained:

1. Separate 20-amp circuit required for garage outlets, no other outlets allowed on circuit. One outlet in ceiling for door opener, and at least one outlet on each wall.

2. Separate 20-amp circuit required for outdoor outlets, no other outlets allowed. One outlet required on front, back, and driveway side of house.

3. All ceiling fans must be controlled by a light switch and a speed control knob on wall. No pull-chains allowed to be used. (This is in addition to the requirement that they need to be installed on a fan-rated ceiling box.)

4. All hallways greater than 8 feet in length must have a recessed light within 3 feet of each end, and every 6 feet of additional length in between. A 3-way switch is required near each end, and if hall is 16 feet or greater, a 4-way switch is required with one in the middle as well as the ends.

What changes would you make, and what is your opinion of the ones I just mentioned?

John120/240

Your ideas are fine & dandy if someone wants to pay for them and are these added features

some thing that the homeowner would use ? Make them mandatory by code or city ordinance

HELL NO. Are you suggesting that these changes be made to existing homes at time of

sale HELL NO.

#4 Why are you stuck on can lights ? Wall sconce, cieling fixtures, flourscent fixtures

could all provide adequate light.

The NEC is not a design manual.

Smoke dectors or carbon monoxide dectors are both good ideas, but make them mandatory

when the home changes ownership HELL NO

jeff48356

Actually, most cities in the Metro Detroit area do require certain things be brought up to code before any house changes ownership. And for the city of Livonia, this only applies to vacant/abandoned (foreclosed) homes. I was just saying that I would add those things to the requirements that they already have for houses changing ownership. This is not the NEC, but it is city requirements in addition to the NEC.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
If I were the local electrical inspector of my city, I would add the following requirements for every house sold, before a certificate of occupancy can be obtained:.....
what is your opinion of the ones I just mentioned?
Do vue hav yure paypers? Ah I cee yure arrr missng sum vry impotrnrnt pages. Cumm overze herre. ....

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If I were the local electrical inspector of my city, I would add the following requirements for every house sold, before a certificate of occupancy can be obtained:
Are you saying local inspectors are allowed to make up their own rules in your locality?

Roger

Strife

Why stop there?
Not even gonna bother continuing, perfect example of what's wrong with humanity.

1. Separate 20-amp circuit required for garage outlets, no other outlets allowed on circuit. One outlet in ceiling for door opener, and at least one outlet on each wall.

2. Separate 20-amp circuit required for outdoor outlets, no other outlets allowed. One outlet required on front, back, and driveway side of house.

3. All ceiling fans must be controlled by a light switch and a speed control knob on wall. No pull-chains allowed to be used. (This is in addition to the requirement that they need to be installed on a fan-rated ceiling box.)

4. All hallways greater than 8 feet in length must have a recessed light within 3 feet of each end, and every 6 feet of additional length in between. A 3-way switch is required near each end, and if hall is 16 feet or greater, a 4-way switch is required with one in the middle as well as the ends.

What changes would you make, and what is your opinion of the ones I just mentioned?

renosteinke

This is a fairly tame thread ... yet two posters have been banned.

Inquiring minds want to know .... is there more going on than meets the eye?

wondering

If the new owner wants to pay for them OK. Other than that, customers I have, selling a home CAN NOT afford to pay for that. Most are seniors looking to down size on fixed budgets.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech

I was thinking the same thing but I counted three. Can't say I have seen that before.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Spammers-- we see them before you do because first posts are moderated. We see they are spamming and we drop the ban hammer. :D

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician

you forgot no smoking, and wear a seatbelt.

Status
Not open for further replies.