define this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

have a small strip mall, 2000 amp service, feeders fromm main go into gutter where taps are made (multilpe for 3+ stores). new store going in, new 800 amp switched/fused disconnect. parallel 500's through ct/meter to 800 amp swithced /fused disconnect. no xfmr involved (except POCO feeding 2000 amp service). as it is fed from the feeders in the gutter, which come directly from the "main service" would this be defined and installed as a new service or a metered subpanel? the reason i'm asking is i want to be sure not to mess up on grnding/bonding inspects. i can't seem to wrap my head around this one? thanks in advance for help

jumper

I would say it seems it is a feeder tap downstream from the main service disconnect that feeds a sub panel. The downstream meter would not be relevant for bonding/grounding purposes.

If these are individual occupancies with fire walls, I am not sure if each would need A GEC to a common GES - I believe they do, I believe that we used the ceiling building steel and jumpers on the last one I worked on.

Last edited:

marti smith

Are you talking about whether or not you would isolate your grounding/grounded conductors at the 800a vs. the 2000a?

pete m.

Maybe I "missed it" but what I get is that you have a single service disconnect and from that point on all are feeders.

You would need an EGC run with the feeder conductors sized in accordance with 250.122(G)

Pete

jumper

Maybe I "missed it" but what I get is that you have a single service disconnect and from that point on all are feeders.

You would need an EGC run with the feeder conductors sized in accordance with 250.122(G)

Pete

That is what I see, but if each occupancy is firewalled-would not a jumper to the GES be necessary?

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

yes, my question is, even though its "metered", it's a subpanel as it is fed from taps directly off the main service. seocndly, its not a "seperatly derived system, due to no xfmr, voltages are consistent, 120/208, so, #1) does it need a GEC, 2) are the neutrals and egc bonded at the 800amp switched /fused disco, or should they be separated

pete m.

That is what I see, but if each occupancy is firewalled-would not a jumper to the GES be necessary?

If there were firewalls separating the different occupancies then I believe that 250.32 would come into play.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:

pete m.

yes, my question is, even though its "metered", it's a subpanel as it is fed from taps directly off the main service. seocndly, its not a "seperatly derived system, due to no xfmr, voltages are consistent, 120/208, so, #1) does it need a GEC, 2) are the neutrals and egc bonded at the 800amp switched /fused disco, or should they be separated

If there is a 200 amp service disconnect and you make a tap off of the load side of this disconnect you have a feeder and with that feeder you are required to run a properly sized EGC. Unless, as Jumper questioned, the building was separated by firewalls there would be nothing need be done with the GES.

The grounding conductors and the grounded conductor are to remain separate.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.