AFCIs Throughout an Historic Structure"What??"

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartdmc

In the NFPA 914: Code for Fire Protection of Historic Structures section 11.7.4 states;

Electrical circuits throughout historic structures shall be protected with arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs). The AFCIs shall be installed in the same manner as required in NFPA 70, NEC codes or other applicable codes.

Question.
We're upgrading the service, adding new HVAC equipment and changing / adding some lighting throughout the house, the house was built in 1924 by the Wright Brothers and has been deemed a historic monument.

Does this mean that we're forced to rewire the entire house to upgrade all outlets throughout to ACFI circuit breakers and devices?
Or
is could there be an exemption that we can apply?

Thanks for your commits.

stuartdmc

Why would you have to rewire the whole house to install AFCI's?

The house was originally wired in 1924.
#1. There's no grounds throughout.
#2. The existing receptacles are not three pronged (no ground)
#3. The existing circuits are sharing a neutral throughout room to room
#4. The house uses the old "S" type glass fusses.

I haven checked lately but I don't think anyone is making AFCI "S" type fusses yet.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Thanks for that your commit,

Does a jurisdiction such as and Electrical Inspector have a choose to adopted it or not? Please explain.

Yes. You have to adopt a building code, but you don't have to adopt all of the building codes. For instance, you can follow NFPA 70e, but you can not enforce it if you don't adopt it. Once you adopt it then you must follow it.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The house was originally wired in 1924.
AFCIs can be installed in much older buildings.
#1. There's no grounds throughout.
AFCIs and 2011 NEC 210.12 do not require an equipment grounding conductor to operate.
#2. The existing receptacles are not three pronged (no ground)
AFCIs and 2011 NEC 210.12 do not require the receptacle outlets to be grounding type.
#3. The existing circuits are sharing a neutral throughout room to room
GE combination type AFCI MOD 3 single pole breakers work just fine on existing multiwire branch circuits, with or without the neutral connected.
#4. The house uses the old "S" type glass fusses.

I haven checked lately but I don't think anyone is making AFCI "S" type fusses yet.
You are correct, there are, at present, only AFCIs in the form of circuit breakers. If it is historically required to retain the "look" of the existing fuse center, refeeding the branch circuits to a suitable remote location where a circuit breaker service center can be installed may be an option. This would permit the replacement of the "S" type fuses with historically accurate glass fuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.