indoor wet location panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Am looking at a job that will have occasional use of a power washer in an indoor area. AHJ says that the panel will have to be Nema type 3. Any thoughts on a practical way to get a number of conduits out of the panel if all the openings are on the side and bottom only. Can a stock 3R breaker panel be punched in the top and the openings protected from moisture with the use of a sealing ring such as a T+B 5262. All of my emt runs are up and can't think of a "clean" way to get them out from underneath.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Many 3r panels have a hub that can be installed in the top. You could use a 2" hub or you could punch holes and use myers hubs or sealing locknuts.

cadpoint

T & B web page

question:..................................................................... answer
Are your liquidtight fittings NEMA 3R, 4, 6 and 13 rated without a sealing
ring?
Our liquidtight fittings are NEMA 3R, 4, 6 and 13 rated when installed with
our 5262 series sealing rings

Strife

I would recommend NEMA 4 for that application.

"NEMA 4 ? Enclosures constructed for either indoor or outdoor use to provide a degree of protection to personnel against incidental contact with the enclosed equipment; to provide a degree of protection against falling dirt, rain, sleet, snow, windblown dust, splashing water, and hose-directed water; and that will be undamaged by the external formation of ice on the enclosure."

Notice the hose directed water that NEMA4 provides, VS N3R which doesn't.
Not sure if panels come in NEMA4, in which case I would recommend a Nema4 box and install the panel into the box.
As far as the conduits coming from overhead either put a NEMA3R gutter above and come with one 2-3" nipple through the hub of the panel. Or use Meyer hubs.
I prefer the gutter + hub installation because, sure, water will get in the gutter from the hose, but as long as the water drains, it won't be enough to overcome the connectors and pour into the panel.

Am looking at a job that will have occasional use of a power washer in an indoor area. AHJ says that the panel will have to be Nema type 3. Any thoughts on a practical way to get a number of conduits out of the panel if all the openings are on the side and bottom only. Can a stock 3R breaker panel be punched in the top and the openings protected from moisture with the use of a sealing ring such as a T+B 5262. All of my emt runs are up and can't think of a "clean" way to get them out from underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.