Shallow Recessed Cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparky76

I've got a project where the H.O. would like to install some recessed lighting in an existing vaulted ceiling w/ wood paneling. The room has the fake beam look.

The problem is the depth clearance is only 3 5/8" so I can't a traditional 6" or even 4" or 3" can in there. I thought of undercabinet type cans in about a 2" size, but they don't put out a lot of lumens. I'm willing to do incandescent or LED.

I want to get light output similar to a 75W par30 in a 6" Halo H7 and if I have to do 2 or 3 smaller cans to get the equivalent, it is an option.

Any ideas..?

Last edited:

JOHNEO99

Are they going to be remodel or new construction cans? Is there insulation where the housing will be installed? The smallest I found were 4.25" deep with an mr16 bulb.

Last edited:

emmet

The smaller halogen puck lights are pretty bright (undercabinet) and work without a transformer, but if the ceiling is too high, the lumen output won't be enough. Have you hunted around online?

sparky76

You mentioned a vaulted cieling, do you have a plan to get wires where they need to go ?

Just my two cents.

John-

My plan is to run romex on top of the false beam (not visible) and then i would drill into the bays as needed. The bays appear to be open, but I haven't verified that for certain. Where the romex is visible going from the beam into the T&G, I'll cover it with wiremold.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would never install a recessed can in a ceiling with 3 5/8" clearance. Install some mono point track heads or some tracks.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I've got a project where the H.O. would like to install some recessed lighting in an existing vaulted ceiling w/ wood paneling. The room has the fake beam look.

The problem is the depth clearance is only 3 5/8" so I can't a traditional 6" or even 4" or 3" can in there. I thought of undercabinet type cans in about a 2" size, but they don't put out a lot of lumens. I'm willing to do incandescent or LED.

I want to get light output similar to a 75W par30 in a 6" Halo H7 and if I have to do 2 or 3 smaller cans to get the equivalent, it is an option.

Any ideas..?

there are some shallow 4" remodel cans i used last week that might fit in there.... i think eilite made them... they use a standard spring loaded trim,
and a 50 watt mr-16.. sorry but i didn't measure the depth, but i think they are designed to fit in a 2x4 void... they are pretty shallow.

NOT ic rated.

you say paneling, but do you mean shiplap? that is 5/8" thick, and gives you some wiggle room... but 1/8" paneling over sheetrock comes out the same...

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

Any ideas..?

i was at the lighting trade show at the LA convention center last week, and they have some 5" LED "can lights" that go into a 2
gang box, and protrude about half an inch below the surface of the ceiliing.... they are under $60 each, and are equal to a 65 watt par lamp...
i'll see if i can get a catalog number....

edit:

lighting science makes something called "glimpse"....

http://www.lsgc.com/interior/glimpse/

Lighting Science’s integration of our leading edge optical, thermal and driver design excellence are all on display
with Glimpse… A luminaire of which there truly is no equal. Designed to mirror the form of a recessed downlight
in application, the Glimpse can be retrofit into 5” or 6” recessed downlights by simply replacing the existing Edison
base lamp and trim or, unlike any of its competitors, be surface mounted to a J-Box as a luminaire.
750 lumen WW package provides up to 20% more light than similar competitor offerings
Available in 2700, 3000, 4000K
Dimmable down to 5%
Designed for a 50,000 hour life
Consumes just 15 watts
Uses 70% less material in design than a standard downlighting system
Up to 80% more efficient than comparable HID systems with similar performance
5 year limited warranty
Energy Star qualified

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.