Switched receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyboy

Subject: Switched receptacle. For reasons unnecessary to go into the engineer shows a switched receptacle in a being fed from 2 separate circuits (not a mulit-wire branch circuit, but 2 separate 12/2 circuits; the hot and neutral tab on the receptacle will be removed). The circuits ordinate in separate panels. I told the engineer this was not legal but can?t find where it is against the NEC. Is this a violation, and if so, what section? Thanks!!

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
This is from NEC 2011

210.7 Multiple Branch Circuits
Where two or more branch circuits supply devices or equipment on the same yoke, a means to simultaneously disconnect
the ungrounded conductors supplying those devices shall be provided at the point at which the branch circuits originate.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Being fed from two different panels would make it hard to comply with 210.7. If it was two seperate, single receptacles, not on the same yoke, but can be in the same box, then it could legally be done

iMuse97

Why would they even need to be the same box? Is it one of those cases where one can be supplied by a Standby Power source? Just install separate yoke devices and be done with it. That's why engineers sometimes get a bad rep: Some of them never read the code, much less understand it. :) (With due regards for all our fellow engineers on this forum.) I had one thinking about sizing #6 wire for a 30A/277V run, because it was 225 ft.?? The concern was magnified because once (s)he had been caught with too small a wire for the load and the distance, so apparently now everything has to be oversized.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If it was two seperate, single receptacles, not on the same yoke, but can be in the same box, then it could legally be done

And the OP has to comply with 406.5(G)

Voltage Between Adjacent Devices.
A receptacle shall not be grouped or ganged in enclosures with other receptacles, snap switches, or similar devices, unless they are
arranged so that the voltage between adjacent devices does not exceed 300 volts, or unless they are installed in enclosures
equipped with identified, securely installed barriers between adjacent devices.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
And the OP has to comply with 406.5(G)

Voltage Between Adjacent Devices.
A receptacle shall not be grouped or ganged in enclosures with other receptacles, snap switches, or similar devices, unless they are
arranged so that the voltage between adjacent devices does not exceed 300 volts, or unless they are installed in enclosures
equipped with identified, securely installed barriers between adjacent devices.

The OP said 12/2 which would be normally 20A 120V and 406.5(G) (2011) 406.4(G)-2008) wouldn't apply here because he would not be exceeding 300V between devices.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
The OP said 12/2 which would be normally 20A 120V and 406.5(G) (2011) 406.4(G)-2008) wouldn't apply here because he would not be exceeding 300V between devices.

I am not sure on this so please correct me if i am wrong, :? if we have two separate circuit we could potentially have 240V between the conductors. And with 240 V doesn't that mean that we may have a peak to peak measurement of 339 Volts?

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
I am not sure on this so please correct me if i am wrong, :? if we have two separate circuit we could potentially have 240V between the conductors. And with 240 V doesn't that mean that we may have a peak to peak measurement of 339 Volts?

I pretty sure the code never deals in peak voltages.

NEC def
Voltage (of a circuit). The greatest root-mean-square (rms)
(effective) difference of potential between any two conductors
of the circuit concerned.

Billybob1

Switched receptacle

This is more of a question than actual knowledge, wouldn't the rating of the receptacle come into play?

I know that when you break the tabs that only 120v will be going through each receptacle but unless the two circuits are on the same phase you would be getting 240 volts. If the receptacle is rated for 120v then wouldn't this be a violation?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is more of a question than actual knowledge, wouldn't the rating of the receptacle come into play?

I know that when you break the tabs that only 120v will be going through each receptacle but unless the two circuits are on the same phase you would be getting 240 volts. If the receptacle is rated for 120v then wouldn't this be a violation?

A duplex receptacle is two receptacles on one yoke, neither receptacle will have more than its rated voltage.

210.7 is the deal breaker for the engineer

Roger

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

NEC def

Thanks Twoskins..., that would have been my answer. BTW, I wasn't implying that the installation that the engineers wanted in the OP was compliant, just that the adjacent voltage rule (300V) didn't apply.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Thanks Twoskins..., that would have been my answer. BTW, I wasn't implying that the installation that the engineers wanted in the OP was compliant, just that the adjacent voltage rule (300V) didn't apply.

NEC def

Thanks guys.

jrohe

Occupation
Professional Engineer
That's why engineers sometimes get a bad rep: Some of them never read the code, much less understand it. :) (With due regards for all our fellow engineers on this forum.) I had one thinking about sizing #6 wire for a 30A/277V run, because it was 225 ft.?? The concern was magnified because once (s)he had been caught with too small a wire for the load and the distance, so apparently now everything has to be oversized.

I also calculate #6 AWG wire is required for a 225-foot run of a 30 amp circuit, assuming VD was being limited to a maximum of 3% and conductors are copper.

CM = 2 x K x I x D/VD

K = 12.9 ohms
I = 30 amps
D = 225 feet
VD = 277*.03 = 8.31 volts

CM = 2 x 12.9 x 30 x 225/8.31 = 20956.7 cmils.

A #8 AWG conductor has an area of 16510 cmils, which would result in a 10.5 volt drop (3.8%). The #6 conductors result in a 6.6 volt drop (2.4%).

Status
Not open for further replies.