• Isn't one needed?

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Per 2008 NEC

Is a separate GEC required at each structure fed from a Main source which has a GEC?

Yes.

250.32 Buildings or Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s)
or Branch Circuit(s).

(A) Grounding Electrode.
Building(s) or structure(s) supplied
by feeder(s) or branch circuit(s) shall have a grounding
electrode or grounding electrode system installed in
accordance with Part III of Article 250. The grounding
electrode conductor(s) shall be connected in accordance
with 250.32(B) or (C). Where there is no existing grounding
electrode, the grounding electrode(s) required in 250.50
shall be installed.

Exception: A grounding electrode shall not be required
where only a single branch circuit, including a multiwire
branch circuit, supplies the building or structure and the
branch circuit includes an equipment grounding conductor
for grounding the normally non?current-carrying metal
parts of equipment.

hurk27

Per 2008 NEC

Is a separate GEC required at each structure fed from a Main source which has a GEC?

GEC or EGC?
For EGC see 250.32(B)
250.32(B) Grounded Systems. For a grounded system at the
separate building or structure, an equipment grounding conductor
as described in 250.118 shall be run with the supply
conductors and be connected to the building or structure
disconnecting means and to the grounding electrode(s). The
equipment grounding conductor shall be used for grounding
or bonding of equipment, structures, or frames required
to be grounded or bonded. The equipment grounding
conductor shall be sized in accordance with 250.122.
Any installed grounded conductor shall not be connected
to the equipment grounding conductor or to the grounding
electrode(s).
Exception: For existing premises wiring systems only, the
grounded conductor run with the supply to the building or
structure shall be permitted to be connected to the building
or structure disconnecting means and to the grounding
electrode(s) and shall be used for grounding or bonding of

If this is because of an inspection, you might want to look at the code in effect at the time it was built as this was a resent change, and previously you could run a 3-wire if no other metallic pathways existed.

Also another way to allow a 3 wire feed to a separate building, is to have a meter that has load side double lugs, and run back into the ground from the load side of the meter to the separate building and treat it as a service, as these are service entrance conductors then the required bonding of the neutral and grounding electrodes as in any service will be required, but then its required anyway. See 230.40 Exception #3

230.40 Exception No. 3: A single-family dwelling unit and a separate
structure shall be permitted to have one set of service entrance
conductors run to each from a single service drop
or lateral.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A GES or GEC is not required if the separate structure is served by only one circuit. Therefore, your poll questions lacks a sufficient number of answers.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
A GEC is only needed where there is a GE. ;)

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
A GEC is only needed where there is a GE. ;)

Roger
Roger, if you run a MWBC to a remote structure that has a gec does the MWBC need to be connected to the egc? I think that is the question. And if there is, say structural steel, then what size GEC is required if it is required at all. I can see this argument going either way.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Roger, if you run a MWBC to a remote structure that has a gec does the MWBC need to be connected to the egc? I think that is the question. And if there is, say structural steel, then what size GEC is required if it is required at all. I can see this argument going either way.
Dennis, you missed my humor. A GEConductor is only needed where a GE is present. If a GE is not present you don't need a conductor going no where. ;)

I know, I'll keep my day job. :D

Roger

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A GES or GEC is not required if the separate structure is served by only one circuit. Therefore, your poll questions lacks a sufficient number of answers.

However, Art 225 requires a disconnect approved for service entrance use, for all locations. 225.36 has an exception for garages and outbuildings on residential property - can use 3 or 4 way switches

The typical disconnect would be a load center or fused switch, and this one circuit would be a feeder and then require a GEC and GES.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, you missed my humor. A GEConductor is only needed where a GE is present. If a GE is not present you don't need a conductor going no where. ;)

I know, I'll keep my day job. :DRoger

Actually I did catch it but I didn't take it as humor. :p However it did make me think about what I asked. If there is an electrode we are required to use it however 250.32 gives us exception for installing a GE for a MWBC or a single circuit but does it give us exception not to use the GE that may exist.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
However, Art 225 requires a disconnect approved for service entrance use, for all locations. 225.36 has an exception for garages and outbuildings on residential property - can use 3 or 4 way switches

The typical disconnect would be a load center or fused switch, and this one circuit would be a feeder and then require a GEC and GES.

It might just be me but I wouldn't think of using a loadcenter for one circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation

I don't think that is the intent but who knows. I know Chris & I both have a proposal on this exact subject.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I don't think that is the intent but who knows. I know Chris & I both have a proposal on this exact subject.

I believe I also made a proposal stating that a feeder to a utilization equipment that goes thru a fused disco is not a feeder but a branch circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.