30 Day Load Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I am still opposed to the idea of engaging local ECs or national testing companies to take separate meter readings, because the main panels may have voltmeter and ammeter and if record of readings of the same were maintained,it would be easy to work out the spare capacity from those already recorded voltmeter and ammeter readings.Do you agree?
It would be a rare installation where a panel other than the service equipment would have those meters. It is not even that common on the service equipment.

iwire

Staff member
Charlie,

I do this work for EEs at least a few times a year.

Typically we are hired by the EE or the GC to take load readings and produce a report.

As far as the hot work aspect, I agree with Don in that this work really needs a shutdown. But the shutdown can be very short, if I get the meter and the leads ready I only need 2 or 3 minutes of shutdown time to install / connect the leads and turn the circuit back on.

My avatar is actually a picture of the meter we use.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

It would be a rare installation where a panel other than the service equipment would have those meters. It is not even that common on the service equipment.
May be so in U.S.In India,the main panel, other than the service equipment, is usually provided with meters for measuring voltage and current.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

I am still opposed to the idea of engaging local ECs or national testing companies to take separate meter readings, because the main panels may have voltmeter and ammeter and if record of readings of the same were maintained,it would be easy to work out the spare capacity from those already recorded voltmeter and ammeter readings.Do you agree?
Oops.Indicating meters should not be used for design purposes.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I wanted to play with ideas to get deeper insight.
I have no objection to that. But this is my question, and your ideas will not be useful to me, if they do not pertain to the situation that I am facing. If I wish to add load to an existing building, then 220.87 gives me the process for determining whether the building has enough spare capacity to allow adding load. I have to use one of the three methods it describes, and no other ideas can be substituted for those three methods. So please do us all the favor of reading that article, before offering any other ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.