Cut and tap under load and meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the storm the question of bugging and tapping services under load or even just the meter had come up. I realize tapping live loads is a power quality problem. But if its just the meter I am wondering if anyone has heard of them being damaged by this. The last thing I want to do is pull a meter, to me its worse than then dealing with any back feeds that occur. Today I had a house with an open neutral and stain relief at the overhead. Nobody was home and the meter was spinning, so I tied a number#12 to the street side with a split lug, left it long, then tied it to the house neutral. The electrical spitting was minor, and once connected I was able to pull the disconnected ends together to rebug and then disconnect the jumper.

roger3829

Really? The first thing I would have done was pull the meter. Doing what you did is a sure way of destroying something or worse getting yourself killed.

stevebea

Since the storm the question of bugging and tapping services under load or even just the meter had come up. I realize tapping live loads is a power quality problem. But if its just the meter I am wondering if anyone has heard of them being damaged by this. The last thing I want to do is pull a meter, to me its worse than then dealing with any back feeds that occur. Today I had a house with an open neutral and stain relief at the overhead. Nobody was home and the meter was spinning, so I tied a number#12 to the street side with a split lug, left it long, then tied it to the house neutral. The electrical spitting was minor, and once connected I was able to pull the disconnected ends together to rebug and then disconnect the jumper.

Yup, what Roger said. Be safe and pull the meter. Not quite sure what you mean by " I realize tapping live loads is a power quality problem.... " :?

renosteinke

This thread has caused me a fair amount of worry ...

An electrician, uncomfortable with pulling a meter, but happy to open current-carrying conductors under load? And he's worried about 'power quality?' (Whatever that is).

Stop. About Face. Return tools to vendor. Get some REAL training.

Open neutral? First step is to TURN OFF the power. Nothing good can happen from extending the exposure to voltage fluctuations. No one home? Leave it OFF, until it's fixed right.

After that job I thought a better way to do it would be to rope the triplex to take the strain off the bugs and then cut them out. After that go and pull the meter, now if the jaws broke there would be no arc flash. When I installed the jumper I used MY ppe Face shield, fr clothes, and 15kv gloves. And took one stand off the thhn that was taped a 5ft pvc to do a quick brush test. The ground(hot rod) measured 1.5a with the open neutral which would suggest no fault present.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
After that job I thought a better way to do it would be to rope the triplex to take the strain off the bugs and then cut them out. After that go and pull the meter, now if the jaws broke there would be no arc flash. When I installed the jumper I used MY ppe Face shield, fr clothes, and 15kv gloves. And took one stand off the thhn that was taped a 5ft pvc to do a quick brush test. The ground(hot rod) measured 1.5a with the open neutral which would suggest no fault present.

As a POCO employee, allow me to suggest that you pull the meter from now on. Open neutrals will kill you just as fast as a hot wire. (What is the voltage with 1.5A and an infinite resistance? (open neutral)) Your idea of roping the triplex will also cause you grief later on. Think to yourself how many things can go wrong in that scenario. You will also be liable for anything damaged in the consumers home by completing this work in a manner that is unprofessional. Would NFPA 70E allow you to do what you are suggesting?
The newer smart meters use 240V to power the screen. Backfeed will be an issue even if you kill the main.
Pull the meter. The POCO will have to understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.