Panel fill- breaker spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flipper 800

Is there a code reference for panel fill on new construction. I have had local inspectors tell me they want 10% of the panel empty on completion of the job. THis will allow for future work. What do you say. Code or convention.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
...unless it is a written local amendment, there is no such NEC reference requiring spare space in panels.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC requires that you size the service according to it's load calculation. You could use every space if you so choose. Poor design, yes. A code violation, no. I could have a load calculation of 199 amps and install a 200 amp service with 10 empty slots. Would this provide any room for future expansion?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I had heard there was something in the works for such a " room for expansion" I thought it was on this site.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The NEC is a minimum safety standard and tells us that room future expansion is not required:

ARTICLE 90 Introduction
90.1 Purpose.
(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is the practical safeguarding of persons and property from hazards arising from the use of electricity.
(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and proper maintenance results in an installation that is essentially free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient, or adequate for good service or future expansion of electrical use.

Status
Not open for further replies.