Is it my fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton

I had a call from a customer to come take down an old nichrome element heat light in his bathroom. I took the old one down and installed the new one. The problem is that the new one is slimmer than the old one and the trim doesn't cover the old hole completely. I told him that I would look to see if there is a wider trim available (is there one?), but I wasn't to blame for the gap. He is trying to hold a portion of my money (only 45 bucks) until I get it fixed. I told if I can't find the trim he is pretty much on his own, but I would try to help him patch the hole if I could. What are your thoughts?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Did you measure and inform him about the possible gap before you took off the old one?

ceb58

Well it is hard to draw up a contract for small jobs but that would have gotten you off the hook. I have in my contract that the customer is responsible for paint and patch work. But as it stands now you can try to find a larger cover or patch the hole. If you walk away your name will be mud with every one he comes in contact with. Is that and $45.00 worth it?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
There is a quick dry patch product that is white you spread it on and it drys super fast. Works great you might have to put a firring strip and some rock up then fill in. Home owner should paint.

growler

I had a call from a customer to come take down an old nichrome element heat light in his bathroom. I took the old one down and installed the new one. The problem is that the new one is slimmer than the old one and the trim doesn't cover the old hole completely.

Who bought the new fixture? If the customer bought the fixture I see it as his problem to get the hole patched. If you bought the fixture then it should have been explained to the customer that there would be a gap before it was installed and that patching and painting are not your responsibility. If he still wants it installed then he knows what he's getting.

If it's only $45 I would tell the customer to put that money toward getting a handyman to patch up the gap. Write it off a cheap lesson learned..

GUNNING

Patch the hole with some drywall and drywall joint compound. Sand it down and get it right. Ask him if he wants you to also paint it.

THEN tell him its an un for seen extra. Charge accordingly. You got your foot in the door. Make money or tell him to fix it himself, but be helpful in solving both your problems.

OR give him an estimate to fix the hole and drop a hammer on the commode after he decides he doesn't want you to do the extra work, and tell him to keep the $45.

oops, my bad.:jawdrop:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If you do these small repair Jobs then you need to be prepared to fix the drywall unless you exclude this from your contract Verbal or Written.

Better to provide the patch then to have to have the HO track down a Handyman to fix the darn thing!
Keep a can of patch on the truck with a mud knife.

By the by, Anyone know a good premixed compound that will resist freezing to about 10 degrees?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I had a call from a customer to come take down an old nichrome element heat light in his bathroom. I took the old one down and installed the new one. The problem is that the new one is slimmer than the old one and the trim doesn't cover the old hole completely. I told him that I would look to see if there is a wider trim available (is there one?), but I wasn't to blame for the gap. He is trying to hold a portion of my money (only 45 bucks) until I get it fixed. I told if I can't find the trim he is pretty much on his own, but I would try to help him patch the hole if I could. What are your thoughts?

communication with the customer before ripping the thing out of the ceiling is your best bet....

when i do stuff, i explain that if i have to make holes, i close them up, but patching and painting
is the homeowners responsibility.

i have a guy i've know most of my life who does excellent drywall work, and i pass his number along.

i had one of the heat light, fan panasonic combos... the fan is $300 wholesale. it needs a 2x8 bay to
fit into. i had to shoehorn it into a 2x6 joist, so i got some 8/4 european birch, and made a custom
frame, that gave me the thickness i needed. the panasonic trim overhangs each side of the rough in
can by a different amount, so i used floating tenons to put the frame together, dry fitted it around
the can, put the trim on, marked it, took it apart, cut each side to fit, took a 1.5" radius router cutter
in a huge router, made a bullnose on the frame, sanded it, used polyurethane finish on it, glued it up
around the rough in can, and put the whole thing up in the ceiling... ran 4" duct out the side of the
building, carefully drilling the fascia on the side of the house with a 4 1/2" holesaw.

installed it, wired it, ducted it..... patched the drywall.... it was a thing of beauty....

and then moved it 2 1/2" cause the lady who owned the house decided it just needed to move that
much. the first location had been approved before installation.

and after it was all done again..... move it an additional 1 1/4"..... for reasons i never did have explained
in a way that i understood.

that $300 fan cost $1,500 or so to install. but their was communication all the way thru, so they got what they
wanted.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
If you do these small repair Jobs then you need to be prepared to fix the drywall unless you exclude this from your contract Verbal or Written.

Better to provide the patch then to have to have the HO track down a Handyman to fix the darn thing!
Keep a can of patch on the truck with a mud knife.

By the by, Anyone know a good premixed compound that will resist freezing to about 10 degrees?

i've known brickies who put antifreeze in their mortar, so the mortar would dry and not just freeze,
but i don't know of any vinyl water based topping or patch that works that way..... might be time
to carry 20 minute hot patch and learn to mix......

home dipsnit used to sell this hot shot crack filler that worked well, i used to keep a gallon of it on the
truck, and they don't sell it any more....

the last gallon of topping i bought from home depot, i used to patch four 6" holes on a wall......
and the stuff never dried...... what a huge mess..... it was wierd.. the stuff just sat there wet...
i was stumped, and came back in the morning... it was still wet, 10 hours later....

note to self: exclude patching.

Status
Not open for further replies.