Light above panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyha

Does there or does there not need to be a light above an electrical panel in a new installation. Please give code referance if possible. I have thought for years this is true.

tyha

there is no illumination. its an exterior house panel. there are dozens of exterior wall pack area lights surrounding the building but absolutely none on the side where the panel sits. Im also very aware of the dedicated space issue. this panel is in a cove that faces the building. show me where the space needs to be illuminated in the NEC

Last edited:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If the panel is installed indoors. And once i think about it how can i work in indoors without light anyway. So the lighting that is in the room should suffice.

If the panel is outdoor do not need one.

renosteinke

Mind you, the requierment for illumination does not allow you to mount a light in the working space .... though we could debate the 'dedicated' space.

This, of course, makes things interesting in the case of mobile home / RV pedestals (some of which have built-in lights) and industrial gear (which often has lights added inside the cabinet).

raider1

Staff member
So, I'm supposed to make sure the panel is illuminated, but not work on live parts. lmao....another can of worms.

NFPA 70E permits voltage testing while the equipment is energized provided that you are wearing the appropriate PPE. It would be beneficial if while test voltage there were illumination at the panel.

Chris

NFPA 70E permits voltage testing while the equipment is energized provided that you are wearing the appropriate PPE. It would be beneficial if while test voltage there were illumination at the panel.

Chris

I should have apologized in advance..... I'm a wise azz through and through:ashamed1:. Sorry, just couldn't restrain myself (once I got out of this weird jacket with all the clasps, belts and buckles attached to it)

raider1

Staff member
I should have apologized in advance..... I'm a wise azz through and through:ashamed1:. Sorry, just couldn't restrain myself (once I got out of this weird jacket with all the clasps, belts and buckles attached to it)

That's OK.:thumbsup:

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.