Chinese Conduit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
For those who don't have immediate access to Webster?s Collegiate Dictionary, 11th edition, the primary dictionary on this website is based on it.

Beyond our other NEC/NFPA undefined terms, pipe and tube might be interesting reads. Tube is used to define pipe and cylinder is used to define tube. Another interesting definition is cylinder, which doesn't necessarily mean "circular."

There are several other entertaining features.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
This may be a little off-topic, but when my job involved machine design, a common structural material was "rectangular tubing" and "square tubing" which were welded products. These were often used as "raceways" for electrical wiring with smooth cutouts for masses of wiring or holes for conduit fittings in other situations.

All of you are likely accustomed to this material; it is commonly used as support columns in industry. I've been involved with its PRODUCTION is sizes like 10 inch by 16 inch by 1/2 inch wall ... not flimsy stuff.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Rymco is the brand I was trying to remember. Made by Midwestern Electrical Sales. Most other EMT I ever used was made by Allied or Wheatland. Rymco has a green & white label if I remember correctly.

lectroman

Chinese conduit...probably

Chinese conduit...probably

I have had the same experience in recent years...it really doesn't matter what method is used hand or hydraulic...the conduits in some batches ripple around the deeper bends. I wonder if there has not been some funny business with labelling of these conduits. I had a relative in another industry whose job it was to put labels "Made in USA" on products made overseas. I could not get any information out of her, otherwise I would have gone to an government agency(FTC) to notify them. Makes one wonder, since I had not experienced these issues prior to the last say ten years in the business.

Status
Not open for further replies.