Voltage Drop : 100ft myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of years ago some one told me that a common rule of thumb when dealing with voltage drop is to upsize every 100ft (30m), I have never used this rule of thumb as I always do my own calculations, a few weeks ago ran into someone who uses the same "rule of thumb" , I tried my best to convince him it was not true but he wasn't interested. So I decided to do my own calculations and posted the results on my website (link below) - and as far as I can see there is no emerging pattern for voltage drop - hence no voltage drop rule of thumb can be formed.

My question is where are people getting this value from?

http://www.electricaldesigner.info/index.php/power/cables-and-conduits/80-voltage-drop-.html

iwire

Staff member
A couple of years ago some one told me that a common rule of thumb when dealing with voltage drop is to upsize every 100ft (30m), I have never used this rule of thumb as I always do my own calculations, a few weeks ago ran into someone who uses the same "rule of thumb" , I tried my best to convince him it was not true but he wasn't interested. So I decided to do my own calculations and posted the results on my website (link below) - and as far as I can see there is no emerging pattern for voltage drop - hence no voltage drop rule of thumb can be formed.

My question is where are people getting this value from?

http://www.electricaldesigner.info/index.php/power/cables-and-conduits/80-voltage-drop-.html

We use it all the time and engineers put it in the notes on many of the prints we get.

Considering under the NEC voltage drop consideration is entirely voluntary I see no problem in using a rough rule of thumb.

Obviously if you want to be sure of the result calculations must be done.

How did you arrive at the current you used to figure each circuit with?

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
From the link

Lets think about this for a second by looking at some values for common system voltages (Voltages shown are after voltage drop and not the actual voltage drop):

So lets think about this, would a well designed circuit be 'maxed out' which seems to be what you did?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
That was what I was thinking. What is the max load on the circuit under normal conditions. Obviously voltage drop is dependent on distance as well as load.

Ok,

First of all thank you for having me here, I know I can learn a lot of things here. So my intention with the article was to figure out extremities - surely no one would design or should design a circuit with "maxed-out" load (code would not allow for this), it should be seen as a theoretical calculation just to verify an idea or myth.

Now, coming back to the topic, voltage drop depends on couple of things:

• Current
  • Length
  • Power Factor
  • Resistance per unit length
  • Inductive Reactance/unit length
Resistance depends on Temp, wire size & material
Reactance depends on Spacing between conductors, diameter, conduit type (magnetic or non magnetic), system frequency

Obviously to find exact voltage drop would be complex , but we dont need an exact value and thats why cable manufacturers provide tables to approximate (quite accurately) these values. Now if there was an emerging pattern we could say yes this is a pretty good or rough rule of thumb so I will use it, but this is not the case here.

I find it strange that engineers recommend this value, the truth is there are so many parameters involved (as mentioned above) one cannot just claim 100ft. For this reason at the consulting company I work we size our feeders to compensate for voltage drop - we also note in our spec that the contractor should ensure VD not exceed 3% in a branch circuit.

Don't get me wrong, a rule of thumb would be great for everyone - it makes everyones lives a whole lot easier, all im saying is if you believe this works prove it. Maybe this rule works for a very specific scenario - I don't know - If you could post any of the prints that quote this rule that would be great.

iwire

Staff member
Ok,

First of all thank you for having me here,

No problem, glad you found us.

I know I can learn a lot of things here.

Judging from just your link you bring a lot to the forum so it works out well. :)

So my intention with the article was to figure out extremities - surely no one would design or should design a circuit with "maxed-out" load (code would not allow for this),

I can't speak for the CEC but the NEC does alow circuits to be maxed out. I can design a 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp load. I would likely not do that but it could be compliant.

it should be seen as a theoretical calculation just to verify an idea or myth.

In my personal opinion it does not make sense to try to disprove a common practice by setting up extremes that are not common.

For example I could argue cars are unsafe if I say all roads are ice covered at all times.

Now, coming back to the topic, voltage drop depends on couple of things:

• Current
  • Length
  • Power Factor
  • Resistance per unit length
  • Inductive Reactance/unit length
Resistance depends on Temp, wire size & material
Reactance depends on Spacing between conductors, diameter, conduit type (magnetic or non magnetic), system frequency

I am pretty confident most here are aware of the above.

Obviously to find exact voltage drop would be complex , but we don't need an exact value

I agree, especially considering that history has shown voltage drop is not really a problem for most equipment.

As I am not an engineer if I was going to calculate VD I would keep it to just this.

Single-phase VD = 2 x K x I x D/CM.
Three-phase VD = 1.732 x K x I x D/CM

More likely I would just use an online VD calculator.

and thats why cable manufacturers provide tables to approximate (quite accurately) these values.

I have never happened to see one of those tables.

I find it strange that engineers recommend this value, the truth is there are so many parameters involved (as mentioned above) one cannot just claim 100ft.

They do it because in the real world it works.

Keep in mind these notes from the engineers are for simple branch circuits. For feeders and services I am sure the EEs are doing calculations.

For this reason at the consulting company I work we size our feeders to compensate for voltage drop - we also note in our spec that the contractor should ensure VD not exceed 3% in a branch circuit.

It sounds like under the CEC that is required, it is not currently required under the NEC.

So if some branch circuits have 2% drop and others have 6% it really does not matter. Equipment is really designed to have a 10% range. Of course that includes utility voltage shortcomings.

Don't get me wrong, a rule of thumb would be great for everyone - it makes everyones lives a whole lot easier, all im saying is if you believe this works prove it.

Hmm, Well under the CEC I guess I would have to prove that I have less than 3% drop on the branch.

Under the NEC I would ask you to prove this rule of thumb does not work.

Maybe this rule works for a very specific scenario - I don't know - If you could post any of the prints that quote this rule that would be great.

Pretty much boiler plate on all our prints, we do large retail and offices.

The notes will often tell us to increase the size of the home run by one size for each 100' of one way length.

Perhaps the EEs found this was easier for electricians to understand and comply with then saying branch circuits must maintain less than X% VD?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
No problem, glad you found us.
Perhaps the EEs found this was easier for electricians to understand and comply with then saying branch circuits must maintain less than X% VD?

I'm sure the EEs also found it easier to stamp a general rule of thumb than to do independent calculations for each individual ciruit in a large building. But I agree that you've got to make it simple for electricians who, even if they have the skills to do voltage drop calculations, are not going to be enthusiastic about doing them on a job site. Electricians usually want to show up on a jobsite and just starting working according to plans.

iwire

Staff member
But I agree that you've got to make it simple for electricians who, even if they have the skills to do voltage drop calculations, are not going to be enthusiastic about doing them on a job site.

You are right, we are not into adding time to a project that was likely not carried in the bid.

Electricians usually want to show up on a jobsite and just starting working according to plans.

Well ........ truth be told that is what we are usually being paid to do. If the job has engineered prints I feel the engineer should do they job they were commissioned to do and not pass the buck to the installers.

Status
Not open for further replies.