NMS-2 inline nm cable splices

Status
Not open for further replies.

John120/240

Just because it can be used without a box, I still wouldn't use one even with a box.

Damn new fangled gizmos. Now a Wago connector that has its place when you encounter short

wires. Old fashioned & stubborn. I still use a rotary dial telephone.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
http://www.nsiindustries.com/Repository/Files/Connectors_p77.pdf

This says it can be used in residential applications without a box. Any opinions?

Same principle as an in-line switch, such as on a lamp cord. I didn't go to the web page, just the pdf, so I don't know if they are listed and approved. Unless it is heavier stuff then the in-line switches, I wouldn't want to use them on a circuit that pulled many amps, if I would use one at all. I would have to see one in hand before I could decide or not.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have had calls on some mobile homes (doublewides) that have lost power on a couple of rooms. I have found these burnt where the mobile home halves are connected together.(or something like these). Cut them out, install a j-box, problem solved. Some customers only want the burnt one fixed, so I fix that one, and wait for the rest to burn out.

iwire

Staff member
http://www.nsiindustries.com/Repository/Files/Connectors_p77.pdf

This says it can be used in residential applications without a box. Any opinions?

They have been around long time, they are used heavily in modular homes to connect sections together.

They are addressed by the NEC.

300.15 Boxes, Conduit Bodies, or Fittings ?Where Required.

(H) Insulated Devices.
As permitted in 334.40(B), a box
or conduit body shall not be required for insulated devices
supplied by nonmetallic-sheathed cable.

334.40 Boxes and Fittings.

(B) Devices of Insulating Material.
Switch, outlet, and
tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be
used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring
in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and
fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit
around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall
fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of
the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors
are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available
as many terminals as conductors.

Notice the limitations being exposed or fished. I believe the idea is if you fished it in it can be accessed again.

frankft2000

So it looks like you can't just put one in the wall and sheet rock over it, as a fix. Can only be used if it is fished it. hmm By the way, the splice looks cheesy, I would much prefer a set scew type of deal like the ones they make for splicing UF cable.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They have been around long time, they are used heavily in modular homes to connect sections together.

They are addressed by the NEC.

334.40 Boxes and Fittings.

(B) Devices of Insulating Material.
Switch, outlet, and
tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be
used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring
in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and

fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit
around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall
fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of
the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors
are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available
as many terminals as conductors.

Notice the limitations being exposed or fished. I believe the idea is if you fished it in it can be accessed again.

I don't read it that way. How can something be concealed and fished and also exposed?
I read it as exposed, and (the part in red above) if it is part of a remodel and will be fished and concealed. I see that as permitting it to be exposed or concealed.

iwire

Staff member
I don't read it that way. How can something be concealed and fished and also exposed?
I read it as exposed, and (the part in red above) if it is part of a remodel and will be fished and concealed. I see that as permitting it to be exposed or concealed.

I read it as exposed in any location.

But in existing buildings can be fished in out of sight.

If that was not true why bring up concealment, existing buildings and fishing at all?

But I have no interest in fighting about it, I have never and likely never will use them. :p

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

I read it as exposed in any location.

But in existing buildings can be fished in out of sight.

If that was not true why bring up concealment, existing buildings and fishing at all?

But I have no interest in fighting about it, I have never and likely never will use them. :p

Don't want to fight, who are you and what have you done with Bob?:lol:

But I think you just said what I said, can be either. You're original statement didn't sound that way to me. So :p back at you!

M4gery

I wish they made some type of solid splice kit that could be buried. Something that used a very strong and solid way to connect the conductors so you can be sure that it would last. I'm sure all of us have found ourselves in a situation in which this would saved our ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.