Help with loghting application

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Could anyone offer suggestions on lighting a 15'x30' room with a 14' ceiling. The walls and ceiling are painted light brown, the floor is unpainted concrete. The area is going to be used as an auto detail bay, owner wants to have "alot" of light and something that is efficient. I realize that what he wants is pretty vague, but would something like a couple of 400w HID fixtures suffice? Anyone with lighting knowledge please chime in . Local supply house people are saying 8'HO florescents, owner doesn't want to be dealing with flor tubes. Thanks.

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
start with 4' industrial fluorescents at 14' to get to about 50 fc; then add some fluorescents mounted on the walls at about 8' to get 100-150 fc on the cars

cadpoint

Google is really your friend....

calculate lighting layout estimator

design lighting layout plan

if you decide on a light type just insert the light type in the input window calculate HPS lighting layout for example.

In all cases you have to remeber that some are product (brand) based, and you just have to sort through them.

First off get the owner to paint the ceiling a lighter color, and I do like some light from the sides in certain spots since it will be a detailing facility.

BrianMuir

Long term costs with florescents including maintenance will be less than HID, why does the owner have this attitude? Modern T5 or T8 fixtures are really quite excellent in my opinion.

kwired

Electron manager
Long term costs with florescents including maintenance will be less than HID, why does the owner have this attitude? Modern T5 or T8 fixtures are really quite excellent in my opinion.

I do not recall anyone ever wanting to go back to HID's after seeing all the positives of T8 or T5 technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.