Interesting newspaper article

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
On 2 completely separate occasions years apart I saw DIYers that bought 4/way switches instead of single pole so that they would have places to connect the neutrals. (both times I was there because wiring was screwed up).

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
On 2 completely separate occasions years apart I saw DIYers that bought 4/way switches instead of single pole so that they would have places to connect the neutrals. (both times I was there because wiring was screwed up).

That and the newer SP switches with a grounding screw make ideal replacements for older 3 way switches (with no grounding screw).... they both have 3 screws for connecting your wires.

Follow-up service calls on DIY 3 way and 4 way switch replacements have to contribute to the GNP.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
That and the newer SP switches with a grounding screw make ideal replacements for older 3 way switches (with no grounding screw).... they both have 3 screws for connecting your wires.
Hey I forgot about those! Seen it more than once. Or a 3/way used to replace sp, ground hooked to one of the traveller screws, wouldn't trip breaker unless they flipped switch.

And often on the phone they say, "something must be wrong with house wiring, I hooked the new switch up exactly like the old one."

Ka-ching.

Status
Not open for further replies.