XHHW-2 & XLP

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
XLP is not an NEC conductor marking, I believe it stands for CROSS-LINKED POLYETHYLENE INSULATION

So if the cable is only marked XLP you likely cannot use it at all for NEC applications.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
XLP is not an NEC conductor marking, I believe it stands for CROSS-LINKED POLYETHYLENE INSULATION

So if the cable is only marked XLP you likely cannot use it at all for NEC applications.

Your right. So if a spec reads " all lighting branch wiring to be XLP insualted copper conductors, then what? Can that XLP be/mean RHW or XHHW-2??? No right? Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Your right. So if a spec reads " all lighting branch wiring to be XLP insualted copper conductors, then what? Can that XLP be/mean RHW or XHHW-2??? No right? Thanks.
Surely you have never come across a spec that read all lighting branch wiring to be XLP. If you did then the engineer needs a good spanking.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Surely you have never come across a spec that read all lighting branch wiring to be XLP. If you did then the engineer needs a good spanking.

lol....but actually it does say that but then in another paragraph references the same application must be rhhw-2..... so can you essentially say rhhw-2 is XLP? Thanks Dennis

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Technically, any Type that begins with “R” is a synthetic rubber. “X” is cross-linked polyethylene (XLP).

RH-- and XH--may both be cross-linked polyethylene; however there is still a significant difference. See Table 310.13(A) and compare the insulation thicknesses.

Edit Add: This is why I prefer RHHW-2 for industrial use; especially for high-resistance grounded systems.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Thanks Augie. So RHW and XHHW are essentially XLP? THanks again.

lol....but actually it does say that but then in another paragraph references the same application must be rhhw-2..... so can you essentially say rhhw-2 is XLP? Thanks Dennis
I'm currently having some doubts on the matter. Polyethylene is thermoplastic, i.e. it can be reshaped when heated. Table 310.13(A) says R- and X- insulation types are thermoset...???

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I'm currently having some doubts on the matter. Polyethylene is thermoplastic, i.e. it can be reshaped when heated. Table 310.13(A) says R- and X- insulation types are thermoset...???
The "cross-linking" alters the material.
RH-- may also be EPR (Ethylene Propylene Rubber), another cross-linked material.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Nevermind... I discovered there is a formulation of XLP that is thermosetting.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I have no problem recognizing XLP as a "rubber equivalent" for RH--; however, it is important to recognize that even though they use the same insulation material, RHH/RHW and XHHW are still not the same. The "RH--" series uses a thicker insullation whether it is XLP or EPR.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I have no problem recognizing XLP as a "rubber equivalent" for RH--; however, it is important to recognize that even though they use the same insulation material, RHH/RHW and XHHW are still not the same. The "RH--" series uses a thicker insullation whether it is XLP or EPR.

I agree. The thickness of the insulation will determine the rating as far as RHH, RHW, USE, XHHW, etc. The OP was refering to RHW, XHHW, and RHHW-2 being XLPE. I probably shouldn't have assumed he knew about the thickness and ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.