Center-tap Transformer Voltages

Status
Not open for further replies.

rattus

I have only maintained that when the primary-secondary coupling is considered, the frame of reference has been changed. With the coupling present both secondary legs MUST BE IN PHASE. And you're not going to prove or disprove that with any voltmeter or traditionally set-up oscilloscope for that matter. All your standard connections with a voltmeter or oscilloscope inherently ignore the coupling effect. They can't measure it. They don't see it.

But we have never considered the primary-secondary coupling. We are merely observing the waveforms on L1 and L2. If they are out of phase by 180, everything is well and good; if they are in phase, we have a problem. Nuf sed!

pfalcon

Why was the word apparent even used?

Because where it was used, it's the correct scientific term. Learn its use in science/engineering and you'll understand better. It means only what it means. It says nothing about what's real or actual. Laymen outside the technical community imply that apparent means not real. Inside the community it makes no such implication.

What does the primary secondary coupling have to do with the subject?

This is an extension of a prior thread where the two sides failed to understand that the coupling was the reason for disagreement rather than the measurements or equations.

Explain to us please why the physical construction of the xformer matters. ... How would one write loop or node equations without specifying the voltages at the node in question? ...

This has been repetitious. You (rattus) are neglecting the transformer in your analysis. For your purposes this is perfectly acceptable. As for how you're writing the equations, since you're neglecting the primary-secondary coupling, do it how you want it.

pfalcon

But we have never considered the primary-secondary coupling. We are merely observing the waveforms on L1 and L2. If they are out of phase by 180, everything is well and good; if they are in phase, we have a problem. Nuf sed!

Okay, we can go with this statement. Just start by accepting that the lingo AGREES with your statement. It does not invalidate, argue against, or contradict what you said.

All observed voltages with a meter or scope are based upon the reference frame you impose upon the system. Tap L1 and call it zero and you get in phase waveforms at N and L2. Tap L2 and call it zero and you get in phase waveforms at N and L1. Tap N and call it zero, as you have, and you get out-of-phase waveforms at L1 and L2. The fact that you can retap at different locations and get different waveforms is why it's called an apparent waveform. Its appearance depends on your reference frame. It doesn't make any of them less real or less accurate. [And yes, I am presuming you're using a scope that doesn't lock it's reference probe to the local ground]

N = 0V is the most commonly used frame for obvious reasons.

Rick et al, in the prior thread were purists. That means they wanted to model the transformer in the circuit. Unfortunately they didn't understand that you were never going to do that. You don't ever have to unless you want to understand why Mivey et al were butting heads with Rick et al. Mivey only modeled without the transformer, Rick only modeled with the transformer.

Besoeker

No they aren't they are indicators of the direction of flow, So?

Some use Electron flow and some the conventional flow and they are opposite of each other.
Now less see how complicated you can make that statement.
The discussion relates to AC.
The electrons don't really flow. They just wiggle back and forth and, very little at that.
Polarity and electron flow directions are pretty useless when it comes to discussing alternating current circuit behaviour.
In fact, I think that they are something of an impediment to understanding what actually happens in the circuit.

Rick Christopherson

The electrons don't really flow. They just wiggle back and forth and, very little at that.
"Wiggle" and "very little" are relative terms, and as used, can be very misleading.

Yes, from a human (macroscopic) perspective, the fraction of a millimeter that an electron effectively moves is small. However, from an atomic perspective, this would be comparable to miles and miles of movement. At the atomic perspective, it is not just a wiggle and it is not something to be dismissed off-hand.

pfalcon

The discussion relates to AC.
Polarity and electron flow directions are pretty useless when it comes to discussing alternating current circuit behaviour.
In fact, I think that they are something of an impediment to understanding what actually happens in the circuit.

Until you stick diodes in an AC circuit. Then the direction of flow matter a great deal.

Rick Christopherson

No, but that's because I know better. That doesn't mean that everyone else reading it knows better. That's why we have two-sided discussions to clarify misleading information.

There again, they might.
Well, if you knew that everyone would already know it, then there was no reason for you to bring it up....'cause they already knew it. Right?

So that begs the question: If everyone already understood it and it didn't need clarification, then why did you mention it in the first place?

mivey

No they aren't they are indicators of the direction of flow, So?
So some are trying to say the polarity dictates the direction we must call positive for the entire circuit.

Some use Electron flow and some the conventional flow and they are opposite of each other.
Now less see how complicated you can make that statement.
For what purpose?

Why is it there are a few EEs on here that try to trash everything we where ever taught about basic electricity just to make simple tools we use to seem more complex than they really are?
None of this will change the day-to-day operation of the normal EC. This discussion is only about a better understanding. There is no requirement that you participate and learn anything different than what you already know. Simpe tools will probably do everything you will need to do.

We can't even use a simple equation like ohms law without you always having to drag pf.or
capacitance into it every time we bring it up just to make it more complex.
pf will impact your life as an EC. And will bite you in the behind if you ignore it.

Sorry about the rant, but my gosh. :rant:
No biggie. We all have our moments.

I mean polarity isn't the same thing as direction
really :)
Polarity is about the instantaneous relationships between two different parts of a circuit. Not the same thing as direction in general at all.

mivey

...I would think that the newer digital scopes would have a
power supply and chassis that is insulated from the grounding conductor.
From what I can tell, most don't. You can buy them for a lot more $$$. I just use a differential probe with the scopes I have. They run about $300-400 and up.

mivey

And when you stand on your head and call that up, objects really do fall up, they're really there also.
Sure, but one way the fall from your head to your feet and the other way they fall from your feet to your head. That's DC.

With an AC signal, you can stand on your head and they will fall from your head to your feet 180? later.

Apparent is the correct term. Apparent does not imply real or not real. It means what it means.
If it means nothing in particular, why apply it when reading voltages one way but not when reading them the other? Its use at all in this case carries an implication.

111123-0916 EST

From dictionary.com...Why was the word apparent even used?
Precisely.

mivey

Guy gets shocked by 240 and wants to know why. Is the voltage source a series connection of two indentical 120 volt windings, in phase, or would you like to continue to baffle the masses with invocations of phase relationships relative to the unapplied, inconsequential, neutral.
Well Dan, this guy you speak of can also get a 240 volt shock by two voltages that are physically displaced by 180?, and their relationship to ground would be very relevant.

mivey

Mivey only modeled without the transformer, Rick only modeled with the transformer.
Actually, I have been saying both methods produced real, valid voltages. The other side said one one method produced real voltages but the other method produced voltages that only appeared to be real.

mivey

Actually, I have been saying both methods produced real, valid voltages. The other side said one one method produced real voltages but the other method produced voltages that only appeared to be real.
By the other side I wasn't pointing at Rick in particular even though your quote had his name. His argument has been different from most of the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.