Ground/Bond Loop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pushpin

I have been ask to comment on a ground/bond design.

This will be a Bulk Storage Facility for crude oil. In bound product by pipeline and outbound by pipeline and truck.
There are 10 300hp pumps 8 60hp pumps and a few smaller motors.
There are 2 10,000 BBL tanks.

The equipment is located as closely together as possible.

The design has 41 3/4" x 10' ground rods all connected together. The design connects these rods in 5 rectangular patterns.

My question:
1. Does this seem excessive to anyone?
2. Does connecting the ground rods in rectangular shapes create a "ground loop" rather than a single path to ground?

bphgravity

The system you describe is certainly not required by the NEC. But to answer your questions directly:

1. I would say yes. It sounds like the designer is trying to create a counterpoise type grounding arrangement where every structure, component, and equipment is grounded to the earth and then bonded to each other. In any case, I can't imagine the need for 41 ground rods for ANY grounding purpose.

2. No.

jimmac49

I have been ask to comment on a ground/bond design.

This will be a Bulk Storage Facility for crude oil. In bound product by pipeline and outbound by pipeline and truck.
There are 10 300hp pumps 8 60hp pumps and a few smaller motors.
There are 2 10,000 BBL tanks.

The equipment is located as closely together as possible.

The design has 41 3/4" x 10' ground rods all connected together. The design connects these rods in 5 rectangular patterns.

My question:
1. Does this seem excessive to anyone?
2. Does connecting the ground rods in rectangular shapes create a "ground loop" rather than a single path to ground?

The only place I have seen extensive grounding like that is for a Substation ground grid. Maybe the soil conditions are a factor...

Status
Not open for further replies.