Code doesnt require a ground for switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

I was told that could doesn't require a ground for switches. I'm pretty sure the person that told me this is wrong, not only does it require a ground but the box also has to be grounded.

M4gery

Are you sure that this isn't just a mixup of words? People in the field don't always speak as proper as those who participate here.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There is an exception that applies in a limited application. See 404.9 (exception) and 404.12

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Are you asking about the need for a bonding jumper between a grounded metal box and a switch? If so the code does not require one.

templdl

Knowing the difference in a grounded conductor (normally a neutral) and a grounding conductor can be the issue.
A light switch does not require a neutral but it is important to provide a grounding conductor. But terminating the ground wire to that green scew the grounding conductor provides a electrical path back to ground should the line conductor come into contact with the metal part of the switch resulting in tripping a breaker to preven a potential electric shock to anyone who may come into contact with the mounting screw of the switch.

Strife

I'm pretty sure switch has to be grounded nowadays.
As far as the box....
I would disagree.
Ever tried to ground a plastic box (OK for you nitpicker I know it's not plastic, but it looks like it......OK, NON METALIC box)

I was told that could doesn't require a ground for switches. I'm pretty sure the person that told me this is wrong, not only does it require a ground but the box also has to be grounded.

svh19044

Knowing the difference in a grounded conductor (normally a neutral) and a grounding conductor can be the issue.
A light switch does not require a neutral but it is important to provide a grounding conductor. But terminating the ground wire to that green scew the grounding conductor provides a electrical path back to ground should the line conductor come into contact with the metal part of the switch resulting in tripping a breaker to preven a potential electric shock to anyone who may come into contact with the mounting screw of the switch.

When you refer to light switch, and with the vague topic already, be sure to note that a neutral/grounded conductor is required in the box for the light switch under 2011 NEC (with an exemption or two).

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I thought that until a few years ago I only had to ground a lite switch if I was using a metal cover? And now have to ground switch even with plastic cover, since it could later be changed to metal. Or did I dream this?

And so I thought the purpose of grounding the switch was mostly to ground the cover.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I thought that until a few years ago I only had to ground a lite switch if I was using a metal cover? And now have to ground switch even with plastic cover, since it could later be changed to metal. Or did I dream this?

And so I thought the purpose of grounding the switch was mostly to ground the cover.

Don't forget the cover screws are usually metal too even though the cover is not. (there are exceptions):)

Eddy Current

Agreed, the 2-6/32 screws are permitted to ground a switch with a metal box.

I was talking about both. As far as the grounding conductor i was told that you didn't have to have it run to a switch just hot and switch leg for a single pole switch. I have never done it that way i have always ran a ground wire to everything. Recently we have also had to bond the metal switch boxes with a ground pigtail so i thought it might be a new code.

Do 4 square junction boxes need to be bonded with a pigtail too?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are you asking about the need for a bonding jumper between a grounded metal box and a switch? If so the code does not require one.

Agreed, the 2-6/32 screws are permitted to ground a switch with a {grounded} metal box.

I was talking about both. As far as the grounding conductor i was told that you didn't have to have it run to a switch just hot and switch leg for a single pole switch. I have never done it that way i have always ran a ground wire to everything. Recently we have also had to bond the metal switch boxes with a ground pigtail so i thought it might be a new code.

The metal box is required to be grounded. I should have said "grounded metal box". The switch is also required to be grounded. This can be accomplished by the two metal 6-32 screws connecting it to a metal box, mud ring or surface style cover. No additional bonding jumper is required.

donf

2011 Edition of the NEC

2011 Edition of the NEC

As was stated earlier, the 2011 edition of the NEC now requires that a "Neutral" be carried to switch outlets.

As I understand it, this is because the NEC identified the problem of wiring speciality switches, that require Neutral to be present. Previous practice had installers of these switches using the Ground conductor as the connection point for the switch's Neutral.

Of course this creates a situation that has multiple Ground and Neutral connections points in a system instead of just the one at the Main Panel-board or Disconnect switch.

That is what I teach my students. Is that the correct information?

M4gery

As was stated earlier, the 2011 edition of the NEC now requires that a "Neutral" be carried to switch outlets.

As I understand it, this is because the NEC identified the problem of wiring speciality switches, that require Neutral to be present. Previous practice had installers of these switches using the Ground conductor as the connection point for the switch's Neutral.

Of course this creates a situation that has multiple Ground and Neutral connections points in a system instead of just the one at the Main Panel-board or Disconnect switch.

Pretty much. Just explain to your students how the NEC is dumbing everything down so that anyone can come in and do the work instead of bringing in a real electrician who will do it right.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

It has to do with the UL standard that allows a small amount of current to be present on the EGC. Here's some wording from the ROP:

Add text to read as follows:
404.2 Switch Connections
(C) Switches Controlling Lighting Loads. Where switches control lighting
loads supplied by a grounded general purpose branch circuit, a grounded circuit
conductor shall be provided at the switch location.
Exception: Grounded conductors shall not be required in installations where it
is possible to install conductors into the device boxes without damaging the
building structure or building finish.
RUPP, B.: Occupancy sensors are permitted by UL773A to have a current of
up to 0.5 ma on the grounding conductor. This is allowed because the operation
of an occupancy sensor requires a low level standby current. The standard
permits this current on the grounding conductor because in a typical installation
there is no grounded circuit conductor in the switch box which can be used as
the return conductor for the standby current. An occupancy sensor can be
installed in any switch location. It is impractical to expect the customer or
installer to anticipate all instances where an occupancy sensor will be installed.
Accepting this proposal will insure that a grounded conductor is available at all
switch locations which will allow occupancy sensors to use the grounded
conductor for conducting standby current instead of using the equipment
grounding conductor

david

This could go either way. Sounds like a design choice to me. Since your saying run an equipment ground. If this is metal conduit then he may be right. You only have to incorporate the grounding wire in the sections of conduit that is part of the ground fault path.

If the designer chose to use only the conduit to the switch loops as the required equipment ground, even if an equipment ground wire was incorporated to make up the fault clearing path to receptacle or lights and back to the distribution panel, nothing in the code would require this method to be extended to switch loops.

I do not know why someone would design a branch circuit that way, but it is a design choice.

That being said the bonding jumper from the metal box to the switch is a different issue.

kwired

Electron manager
A switch that does not have a metal yoke in a non metallic box would not have to be grounded.

Don't ask me if you stil need to have a grounding conductor present in case the switch would be changed to one that does require a grounding conductor. IMO if it is a raceway and an EGC could be easily added if needed, no you don't need one, if supplied with a cable -- lets just say it is not all that common for a cable to not have an EGC.

Status
Not open for further replies.