Ceiling fan speed control recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyoligist2

I just bought my Dads old place and it only has a gas stove and logs for heat. The ceiling fans need to run to distribute the heat, high ceilings. The lowest speed on the fans needs to be a little slower I've been looking at some different controls online but not sure what to get.

How about this one?

Pass & Seymour 541-413 white fan and light control. Since the development of variable fan speed controls, many fans have made an annoying humming noise when their speed was reduced. Through the use of specially designed capacitive circuitry, these units can control fans at 3-speed levels with virtually no fan motor noise. Provides fan speed control and light dimming from the same single gang unit. Features include: Eliminates the motor hum that can occur with some fans when they are run at low speeds Rated 1.5A for fan control and 300W 120VAC 60Hz for light control (incandescent only) 3-speed fan control 2-level light dimmer Quiets RFI (radio frequency interference) in radio and video equipment

http://www.fruitridgetools.com/stor...aspx?sfid=136763&i=231519347&mpid=8171&dfid=1

OOPs It is only 3 speeds probably won't work.

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Most speed controls are 3 speed but you can get a variable speed control. The problem with that is, as stated above, the hum that is produced. There are some 4 speed fans controls but I am not sure all fans are designed for speed control selection. I know the old cast iron Hunters needed the variable control and did not work appropriately with the speed selection switch.

Minka makes one. Here is a website

22843.fpx

hockeyoligist2

They are fairly old Hunters, but not cast iron. I found a 4 speed control on Home Depots web site, available in my local store. Think that might slow it down? It's not expensive so I might go get one after my food settles and experiment with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.