Radio RA2 system lighting control switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyD

I'm preparing to install a complete RA 2 system on a larger home.The lighting is mostly recessed fixtures with a 12v. transformer factory supplied unit.After installing a portion of the switches there is a flicker occuring .Now, the flicker is only on the LED---CFL-- type (lamps) bulbs.The lighting rep. from Lutron is a very good person too work with.He has informed me that there is a certain type switch that may possibly clear the problem up.Although,the actual switch we're using isn't working the proper way. The part #for the switch is ---RD-6na--and it has a neutral connection .Any info. is greatly appreciated.(The above part # make not be actual.)

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
-6NA is designed for use with permanently
installed incandescent, electronic low-voltage,
magnetic low-voltage, or tungsten halogen only.

Check the top right chart and notes in this link. This is the instruction sheet that came with your 6NA's.

stickboy1375

I'm preparing to install a complete RA 2 system on a larger home.The lighting is mostly recessed fixtures with a 12v. transformer factory supplied unit.After installing a portion of the switches there is a flicker occuring .Now, the flicker is only on the LED---CFL-- type (lamps) bulbs.The lighting rep. from Lutron is a very good person too work with.He has informed me that there is a certain type switch that may possibly clear the problem up.Although,the actual switch we're using isn't working the proper way. The part #for the switch is ---RD-6na--and it has a neutral connection .Any info. is greatly appreciated.(The above part # make not be actual.)

CFL's are a bitch to dim, they tend to flicker once you go beyond a certain point, Lutron does make specific switches for CFL's with a cut off switch built in to them, but they are not Radio Ra2 compatible....

I generally install -8ANS switches for LED, CFL type loads, to avoid this problem.

Last edited:

TobyD

Thank you for the information.My men and I have been working on this job for several days.The problem lies within the supplier.The person in charge of the RA2 supply is trying to cover his tracks by pointing fingers at us.It doesn't come any more simple than remove the dimmer and the LED doesn't flicker.I have made contact with a person from our area that is well aware of the problem.I'll post what he and I use to solve the problem.He is an actual rep. from Lutron and has a great deal of knowledge about the availabilty of the products offered for our application.

Thank you for the information.My men and I have been working on this job for several days.The problem lies within the supplier.The person in charge of the RA2 supply is trying to cover his tracks by pointing fingers at us.It doesn't come any more simple than remove the dimmer and the LED doesn't flicker.I have made contact with a person from our area that is well aware of the problem.I'll post what he and I use to solve the problem.He is an actual rep. from Lutron and has a great deal of knowledge about the availabilty of the products offered for our application.

It might not be the suppliers fault. You probably don't have the right dimmer. To dim led lights, you need an RR-6NA-XX. You must understand that you might not be able to have full range dimming on led's. Luton does a decent job of testing led's, but there are so many on the market. You will though have to use a reverse phase dimmer as the RR -6NA to accomplish this, or the elv dimmer which the firmware can be updated with the latest release of software (inclusive). I don't know if essentials has this upgrade as I don't use it. I have been testing LEDs with ra2 and have had great results with multiple manufacturers as long as I have had enough load. Don't give up, just make sure you use the appropriate dimmer. Your rep should have made you aware of this and you also have the responsibility of knowing the type of load you are dimming.

TobyD

Yes Sir,Thanks for the info.We now have the proper switch for our application.There are many different types of lamps and bulbs in this home.After we discovered that our lighting rep. had ordered baiscaly the same type dimmer for all areas we were able to adress and correct the problem.Much like you mentioned some of the affects of the LEd and CFL lamps have been resolved

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
Call Lutron: 1-888-LUTRON1. They claim they always answer the phone.

I think you are supposed to use the RRD-6NA. I haven't had the opportunity to deal with that myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.