Outside Taps of Unlimited Lentgth 240.21(B)(5) and Equipment Grounding Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with both of these posts.

I don't feel it matters if you call it a splice or not. The overcurrent device protecting the feeder is what determines the EGC size for any metallic non current carrying component that may be energized by the feeder. If the tap would leave the enclosure the EGC associated with the tap would not need to be larger than the tap conductors max, the bond to the enclosure containing the tap would still need to be sized to the feeder overcurrent device, because the enclosure contains the feeder.

My only point was that since there is no splice then the EMT can serve as the EGC for the panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since "splice" is not defined in the NEC, I am going to say that the tap is a form of a splice.

Since it's not defined I'm going to say a tap that allows the conductor to be unbroken is not a splice. Article 250 seems to say same thing when referring to GEC's.

david

In the case of the tap in the photo the question is are the condcutors actually spliced. Since the tapping device allows the conductors to remain unbroken IMO they are not spliced. A bit of semantics but as far as I know the word splice is not defined by the NEC.

Splice
A join made by connecting two pieces of something

Yes but it is defined in a dictionary. I would think you would agree that the term tap splice or sometimes western union splice has been around a long time when referring to Knob and tube wiring.

iwire

Staff member
The code often uses the word tap for what is being described and often treats a splice as something different than a tap I think that supports Rob's view.

A few examples

300.16 Raceway or Cable to Open or Concealed Wiring.
(A) Box, Conduit Body, or Fitting. A box, conduit body,
or terminal fitting having a separately bushed hole for each
conductor shall be used wherever a change is made from
conduit, electrical metallic tubing, electrical nonmetallic
tubing, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, Type AC cable, Type
MC cable, or mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable and
surface raceway wiring to open wiring or to concealed
knob-and-tube wiring. A fitting used for this purpose shall
contain no taps or splices and shall not be used at luminaire
outlets. A conduit body used for this purpose shall contain
no taps or splices, unless it complies with 314.16(C)(2).

312.8 Switch and Overcurrent Device Enclosures with
Splices, Taps, and Feed-Through Conductors. The wiring
space of enclosures for switches or overcurrent devices
shall be permitted for conductors feeding through, spliced,
or tapping off to other enclosures, switches, or overcurrent
devices where all of the following conditions are met:

(1) The total of all conductors installed at any cross section
of the wiring space does not exceed 40 percent of the
cross-sectional area of that space.

(2) The total area of all conductors, splices, and taps installed
at any cross section of the wiring space does not
exceed 75 percent of the cross-sectional area of that
space.

(3) A warning label is applied to the enclosure that identifies
the closest disconnecting means for any feedthrough
conductors.

322.56 Splices and Taps.

(A) Splices. Splices shall be made in listed junction boxes.

(B) Taps. Taps shall be made between any phase conductor
and the grounded conductor or any other phase conductor
by means of devices and fittings identified for the use.
Tap devices shall be rated at not less than 15 amperes, or
more than 300 volts to ground, and shall be color-coded in
accordance with the requirements of 322.120(C).
III.

david

The code often uses the word tap for what is being described and often treats a splice as something different than a tap I think that supports Rob's view.

I think what is supported is that a tap is a specific kind of splice (connection) and is often done in open air. But I think it is clear that when you surround that tap with a metal enclosure it provides the same circumstance for a fault as any other splice.

iwire

Staff member
I think what is supported is that a tap is a specific kind of splice (connection) and is often done in open air.

I am not sure where you see that.

But I think it is clear that when you surround that tap with a metal enclosure it provides the same circumstance for a fault as any other splice.

Regardless of that, it shows us that the CMP treats them different so in the case of a tap 250.148 does not apply.

david

I am not sure where you see that.

Regardless of that, it shows us that the CMP treats them different so in the case of a tap 250.148 does not apply.

Well you make a point CMP does distinguish a tap splice from other splices in a lot of ways. So I guess I will have to apply your line of reasoning to all connection points of all taps like household ranges
Fixture wire, any location that the connection can be defined as a tap and not a splice.

I been enforcing the code wrong I have made individual bond the equipment ground to metal boxes at lighting outlets and tap locations between range tops and ranges. That makes my job harder and more confusing and I guess I will have to explain all this to the electricians

Maybe you would be interested in asking for a code change on this issue then. What do you say?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
250.148 Continuity and Attachment of Equipment Grounding Conductors to Boxes. Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment
within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be connected within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).
Then lets get away from the word splice. The feeder ECG is associated with the tap conductors.

david

Then lets get away from the word splice. The feeder ECG is associated with the tap conductors.

Don i give up, They say its not a splice. so that rules out splice in the rule. circuit conductors are not defined in the NEC so the close as i can come is Branch Circuit and that ends at the outlet, not the fixture and since it is a tap as defined in article 240. The circuit conductors are not directly terminated to the equipment in the case of the metal box at the tap location for a split unit range and range top. So if this line of reasoning is correct then none of these location would require the bond from the equipment ground to the metal box because they are a "Tap" and a tap is distinguished from a splice.

david

Don I do not mean to dismiss your reasoning as applied to the picture in this post. I believe you make the case as to this specific post on the criteria that the circuit conductors terminate on equipment within the metal enclosure. Though circuit conductors are not defined the definition of a feeder does clearly use the term circuit conductors.

If they are correct then a code change needs to be made to include taps in 250.148

Status
Not open for further replies.