Transfer switches OCP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Application: Existing 200-amp single-phase 240V service. Customer wants to add a transfer switch for a future generator and move the panel to the middle of the house on the 1st floor.

I plan on adding a 200 amp, service rated, N3R, manual transfer switch next to the meter pan, As I read 230.91, I must also add OCP next to the transfer switch as opposed to using a sub panel with a 200 amp main. If I am wrong, let me know.

My question is this, same scenario but the sub panel would be just below the transfer switch, and located in the basement. If I read 230.91 correctly, I still need OCP adjacent to the transfer switch. I do not view the basement sub panel location as adjacent, but if I had no transfer switch, the OCP could be in the main panel, same location in the basement. Have I missed something or is this just the way it is?
:slaphead:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
sYou could also replace the main panel with a 200A disconnect, or smaller 200A panel with feed through lugs. From this disconnect, put your manual transfer switch (MTS) wherever you want, and have it feed the panel in middle of the house.

The key difference is what is the service disconnect. Putting a normal circuit breaker panel as the main disconnect takes away a lot of the issue for where you can then place a MTS that has no integral overcurrent device. Also allows a non-raintight MTS if you put it inside. Trying to use the MTS as your service disconnect will require you to have a 200A disconnect breaker anyway, so why no just put the breaker first and leave your options open. If there are loads that you know will NEVER be run by the generator, then they could be put into a 200A main panel instead of just a disconnect.

ceb58

I agree with Mark, ether way you are going to have to go into the meter base. I would come out of the meter and set a 200amp disco./OCP and put the transfer switch where ever I wanted. You will just have to run 4 wire from the new disco. down stream and separate the N & G in the panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.