Poles: Forklift or Crane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
What do you prefer for setting pole lights? If you had a forklift on site that you could use for an hour to complete the task, would you call out a crane instead?

mivey

I would use the forklift if it could be rigged correctly and there is no difference in liability. Neither a crane nor a forklift is a "pole setting" specific tool and just require proper rigging.

Liability might be a factor. Does hiring the crane also get you a bonded, expert rigger? Will you have a bonded, expert rigger with the forklift?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
My boss just about tipped a zoom boom over trying to set poles on uneven ground with the mast way in the air. He parked it immediately and rented a crane instead. If you have nice flat ground and the forklift is free, I'd use it. Otherwise a crane is the way to go IMO.

tkb

A forklift is only designed for a vertical load.
Any sidways loading may make the whole forklift unstable and apt to tip over.
Unless it is a flat level surface and you can get right up to the base, I would use a crane or a lull.

220/221

What do you prefer for setting pole lights? If you had a forklift on site that you could use for an hour to complete the task, would you call out a crane instead?

If the forklift would do the job, why would you call out a crane?

Sometimes the forklift can access places a crane cannot. We often use the all terrain style forklifts to access park areas.

If it's a small forklift that wont lift high enough, it's not worth doing something unsafe. I'm not going to send a guy up on the forks to hand set a pole.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
So if a forklift is used can it be operated by the electricians? What I mean is ..... Does someone in the crew usually have the experience to use it and set the pole? Not that it takes much I was just curious. Thanks

tkb

So if a forklift is used can it be operated by the electricians? What I mean is ..... Does someone in the crew usually have the experience to use it and set the pole? Not that it takes much I was just curious. Thanks

Sometimes. Some places require a hydraulics license to operate. There also can be union issues on jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.