NEC 517 exam rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireperson

I'm adding 1 outlet to 4 exam rooms that used to be 2 exam rooms and gc added a partition , so they 4 rooms now, I used mc cable and tighted the added new receptacle to an existing one. inspections failed and the inspector note says , incomplete wiring as per NEC 517.I'vw been trying to reach the inspector for this unsuccessfully. I read 517 and as far as I understand , I can't use MC to wire that outlet , but it says that I can use AC cable? is it correct? or is there any special requirement for this exam room outlet? It's a family doctor facility that is just adding 2 more exam rooms to it , no special equipments .

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You can not use plane jane AC or MC, you will need to use an HCF cable be it the AC hibrid or MC hibrid. Just tell your supplier you need a Hospital grade cable assembly.

Roger

MarkyMarkNC

If you don't want to buy a whole roll of hospital grade cable just for one little receptacle, you can pipe it in as well. The conduit will serve as the redundant ground.

Strife

Isn't that a red herring?(I mean hospital grade MC?,)
I always thought was a glorified AC with a green wire added to it( so basically a 12-3 AC with one wire being green instead of red) :)

If you don't want to buy a whole roll of hospital grade cable just for one little receptacle, you can pipe it in as well. The conduit will serve as the redundant ground.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Isn't that a red herring?(I mean hospital grade MC?,)
No, for a long time an AC with an insulated ground was the only assembly that met the criteria of 517.13(A) but the manufacturers created a true MC version in the past few years which also complies.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Lights not needed to be hospital gradeif installed in cieling 7 ft or above.
That's 7.5' to be exact.

Exception No. 2: Luminaires more than 2.3 m (71/2 ft) above the floor and switches located outside of the patient care vicinity shall be permitted to be connected to an equipment grounding return path complying with 517.13(A).
Roger

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Lights not needed to be hospital gradeif installed in cieling 7 ft or above.

That's 7.5' to be exact.

Roger

Keep in mind that the exception to 517.13(B) for lights above 7.5 Feet only allows you to eliminate the insulated copper EGC the wiring method itself must still qualify as the EGC so standard MC is not permitted to connect luminaires in patient care areas even if they are 8 feet above the floor.

Chris

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Keep in mind that the exception to 517.13(B) for lights above 7.5 Feet only allows you to eliminate the insulated copper EGC the wiring method itself must still qualify as the EGC so standard MC is not permitted to connect luminaires in patient care areas even if they are 8 feet above the floor.

Chris
Which is what I said in post # 10 ;)

Roger

raider1

Staff member
Which is what I said in post # 10 ;)

Roger

Yes I saw that and I knew that you were aware of it.:)

I just wanted to emphasize the fact that the exception in 517.13(B) does not eliminate the requirements in 517.13(A) for a metal wiring method that qualifies as an EGC. It is quite common for people to think that the exception allows standard MC cable.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Yes I saw that and I knew that you were aware of it.:)

I just wanted to emphasize the fact that the exception in 517.13(B) does not eliminate the requirements in 517.13(A) for a metal wiring method that qualifies as an EGC. It is quite common for people to think that the exception allows standard MC cable.

Chris

What Chris said. You don't have to wire the patient care area in green MC either that's just one choice, you can run flex with a green wire in it.

I find it's just easier when they wire the whole room in hospital grade.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
What Chris said. You don't have to wire the patient care area in green MC either that's just one choice, you can run flex with a green wire in it.

I find it's just easier when they wire the whole room in hospital grade.
'

My thinking would be due to the limitations in 250.118, FMC would be limited to a 6 ft length.

david

Actually you would both be incorrect. LA City Test Lab has approved 1/2" Alflex as a grounding means in lengths up to 100ft (75ft for 3/4).

Now whether or not you accept LA City Test Lab is another matter.

517.13 Grounding of Receptacles and Fixed Electrical Equipment in Patient Care Areas.
It still wouldn't matter its not approved 517.13 directs you to 250.118 as others have said.

Status
Not open for further replies.