MWBC QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC1302

My dad had a panel changeout and generator installed several weeks ago, EC is well respected in our area and from what I know does quality work. I noticed that there were two single pole breakers with the (2) ungrounded conductors sharing a ungrounded or neutral. I thought I understood that to be a MWBC and therefore a handle tie or a two pole breaker was needed? He indicated that was only needed if the conductors were in the same j-box feeding two separate receptacles(his example). Could someone please clarify?

Strife

Based on the latest yes.
Personally I never liked the idea of a shared neutral no matter where the breakers stood (IE 1 and 4) as long as they were on different phases. I always liked them being adjacent (when sharing a neutral). Going to the extreme of tying them together? I don't agree with it. But it does solve the problem of them not being adjacent, so I'm ok with it.

My dad had a panel changeout and generator installed several weeks ago, EC is well respected in our area and from what I know does quality work. I noticed that there were two single pole breakers with the (2) ungrounded conductors sharing a ungrounded or neutral. I thought I understood that to be a MWBC and therefore a handle tie or a two pole breaker was needed? He indicated that was only needed if the conductors were in the same j-box feeding two separate receptacles(his example). Could someone please clarify?

USMC1302

Thanks for the response Gents. Just wanted to be sure my dad was getting everything done correctly. He had some other items that were puzzling. The GEC was to a single rod, even though his water main is copper and has been there for 50 years. They did take care of that when it was brought up.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for the response Gents. Just wanted to be sure my dad was getting everything done correctly. He had some other items that were puzzling. The GEC was to a single rod, even though his water main is copper and has been there for 50 years. They did take care of that when it was brought up.

What code cycle are you under?

Status
Not open for further replies.