Transfer switch - question discussing the neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

ct1911guy

Hey all, first post here, and rather new to my Journeyman status (please don't beat me up too badly:D). I am installing a transfer switch betweem my main 200amp 120/240 panel and a 100 amp sub panel. Now after being all high and mighty and installing everything, I realized that the neutral is NOT switched in the transfer switch. Now shouldn't the transfer switch be switching the two hots and the neutral?:? Could the neutral in the transfer switch carry an unbalanced load out on the street side neutral when using a generator? Or am I just confused about the whole thing here? I'd really like to go about this the best and safest way possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

IMAG0244.jpg

david

If the neutral is not switched it?s not a separately derived system. That changes the way the bonding is done.
What is in the top conduit between your two panels in the picture?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Welcome to posting.
A large majority of the transfer switches do not switch the neutral.
The neutral being connected to the utility does not provide a path for the current to follow.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Man made electricity seeks it's own source, not other sources. No problem. Just be sure there is no bond between ground and neutral at your generator.

ct1911guy

top conduit

top conduit

the top conduit is a fubar. i wasn't thinking when I installed it. I am going to put a trough there instead for all the splices.

ct1911guy

generator bonding

generator bonding

So in order to make this work i would have to unbond the neutral from the generator so that the GFCI wouldnt trip. But then if i were to use the generator as a stand alone for a jobsite, i would have to rebond it? this kinda seems like a silly way to do things. i feel like i should just go out and get a different transfer switch.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Now the beating starts :D

Manual Transfer or Automatic ?
Generator size ? Portable ?

ct1911guy

let the beating begin!

let the beating begin!

Manual Transfer Switch

Generator size - haven't bought it yet - looking at a Generac xg8000 and yes its portable, i am open minded to another generator within the same price range

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Looks like a neat job.
(please don't beat me up too badly).
You only get to use that line once here. After that we beat the crap out of you.:p
the top conduit is a fubar. i wasn't thinking when I installed it. I am going to put a trough there instead for all the splices.
What splices are you anticipating ? If you're using the top conduit to bring over existing branch circuits, make sure you bring over the neutrals for each circuit as well. The neutrals have to originate in the panel the branch circuit is fed from.
So in order to make this work i would have to unbond the neutral from the generator so that the GFCI wouldnt trip.
I would look into purchasing a generator that didn't have the 120/240, 30A output GFI protected

ceb58

So in order to make this work i would have to unbond the neutral from the generator so that the GFCI wouldnt trip. But then if i were to use the generator as a stand alone for a jobsite, i would have to rebond it? this kinda seems like a silly way to do things. i feel like i should just go out and get a different transfer switch.

That is what has to happen if you stay with a portable under 15Kw.

Beat, Beat Whip,Whip

ct1911guy

Can't find a transfer switch

Can't find a transfer switch

I've been looking for days and cannpt find a 3 pole manual transfer switch. All I can find is 2 pole with a neutral bar. Anyone know of a reasonably prices 3/4 pole manual transfer switch or a generator without a gfci protected L14-30?

brian john

I would leave the existing ATS, is surely is easier to bond then remove the bond as needed for temporary use than replace the ATS.

Assuming this is not a daily occurrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.