Qualified person

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredrics

In industry I am finding people who are filling out safe work permits for electrical work have no training or background in electrical. The same people are filling out hot work (energized electrical) permits. The same people are in charge of electrical safety programs. I believe people who do these things should have a firm background in the electrical field. Am I wrong?

zog

In a perfect world they should but most safety people have to cover safety aspects of everything, including electrical. They should at least have 70E training and understand the hazards involved. The workers should be filling out the permits, the safety guys should just be approving.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Most safety guys are pretty clueless about a lot of things. Just the way it is.

As long as they get clued in by someone who isn't clueless, it is not the worst thing in the world.

I have been in some plants where only the plant manager can sign a hot work permit. You think he knows enough about hot work to be determing if it is appropriate?

jimmac49

In industry I am finding people who are filling out safe work permits for electrical work have no training or background in electrical. The same people are filling out hot work (energized electrical) permits. The same people are in charge of electrical safety programs. I believe people who do these things should have a firm background in the electrical field. Am I wrong?

It is really scary to have somone getting work clearences who has no power background...

stickelec

In a perfect world they should but most safety people have to cover safety aspects of everything, including electrical. They should at least have 70E training and understand the hazards involved. The workers should be filling out the permits, the safety guys should just be approving.

Well said.

puckman

Where we work the energized electrical permit is filled out by the people doing the work and management just signs it. I feel the safety guy or some one in management should be the one to say it can not be done any other way but energized and take responseablity for the work. The sample permit in the 70e book is a good percedure to follow, but the one at my company is nothing like the sample in 70e.
If the only thing they do is sign the permit after the persons doing the work fill it out is management accepting the responsablity for the work should something go wrong ? What should management fill out in the permit ?

Status
Not open for further replies.