AFCI receptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Anyone have an idea if and when AFCI receptacles will be available? I have read a couple of threads here that have mentioned that the entire circuit will have to be protected, but the code states receptacle at the outlet. What if someone still has a fuse panel but wants an outlet added, or moved, and the outlets aren't being produced? I would love to change out the entire service, but sometimes the people wanting the work done can barely afford to have an outlet moved, yet can afford to remodel a bedroom or living room.:blink:

iwire

Staff member
The 2011 version of 210.12, notice that to use a receptacle type AFCI the supply circuit has to be run in metal or concrete. Or for modifications of existing circuits.

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.

(A) Dwelling Units.
All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and
20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in
dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms,
parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation
rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall
be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter,
combination-type, installed to provide protection of the
branch circuit.

Exception No. 1: If RMC, IMC, EMT, Type MC, or steel
armored Type AC cables meeting the requirements of
250.118 and metal outlet and junction boxes are installed
for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch circuit
overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be
permitted to install an outlet branch-circuit type AFCI at
the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion
of the branch circuit.

Exception No. 2: Where a listed metal or nonmetallic conduit
or tubing is encased in not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of
concrete for the portion of the branch circuit between the
branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it
shall be permitted to install an outlet branch-circuit type
AFCI at the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining
portion of the branch circuit.

Exception No. 3: Where an individual branch circuit to a
fire alarm system installed in accordance with 760.41(B) or
760.121(B) is installed in RMC, IMC, EMT, or steel sheathed
cable, Type AC or Type MC, meeting the requirements
of 250.118, with metal outlet and junction boxes,
AFCI protection shall be permitted to be omitted.

(B) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications ? Dwelling
Units.
In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where
branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the
branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:

(1) A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of
the branch circuit

(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the
first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
The 2011 version of 210.12, notice that to use a receptacle type AFCI the supply circuit has to be run in metal or concrete. Or for modifications of existing circuits.

I was refering to (B)(2). Why would it need to be in concrete? I can't see the exceptions from (A) applying to (B).

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I was referring to all of it, figured post it all for everyone.

I agree, for (B) it does not have to be and they do not.

Ok, so do you know if someone is manufacturing them now? What about my original predicament?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I know this has been debated here before but I'm not sure I'm convinced that AFCI's have any value. I'd sure like to see some trade articles on this. Although, I have to admit that there was a lot of skepticism about GFCI's when they arrived on the scene (I'm getting old). We had a lot of issues with them back in the day. But the benifits of GFCI are obvious and demonstrable.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I know this has been debated here before but I'm not sure I'm convinced that AFCI's have any value. I'd sure like to see some trade articles on this. Although, I have to admit that there was a lot of skepticism about GFCI's when they arrived on the scene (I'm getting old). We had a lot of issues with them back in the day. But the benifits of GFCI are obvious and demonstrable.

I wasn't trying to start a big debate about the effectiveness of AFCI. The question stands though. If you have a fuse box and you extend, modify or replace any branch circuit wiring in those areas requiring AFCI protection, and are under the 2011 NEC, are you then required to upgrade to a breaker panel because AFCI receptacles aren't currently under production?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I wasn't trying to start a big debate about the effectiveness of AFCI. The question stands though. If you have a fuse box and you extend, modify or replace any branch circuit wiring in those areas requiring AFCI protection, and are under the 2011 NEC, are you then required to upgrade to a breaker panel because AFCI receptacles aren't currently under production?

That would be the case. Sorry... I really do not see why the wait to manufacture. Serves no purpose to wait. Who knows what the time frame will be to perfect them!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That would be the case. Sorry... I really do not see why the wait to manufacture. Serves no purpose to wait. Who knows what the time frame will be to perfect them!

It seems like there would be or should be an exception if the items required in code aren't being manufactured.:rant:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
It seems like there would be or should be an exception if the items required in code aren't being manufactured.:rant:

90.4 addresses this.

This Code may require new products, constructions, or materials that may not yet be available at the time the Code is adopted. In such event, the authority having jurisdiction may permit the use of the products, constructions, or materials that comply with the most recent previous edition of this Code adopted by the jurisdiction.

If you have a fuse box and you extend, modify or replace any branch circuit wiring in those areas requiring AFCI protection, and are under the 2011 NEC, are you then required to upgrade to a breaker panel because AFCI receptacles aren't currently under production?

If you don't want to do an entire panel upgrade, I believe adding a "sub-panel" that will accept your AFCI breaker would be compliant, and probably less costly for the customer.

Usually at a point like this I generally ask the customer what type of plans do they have for their house. If they're planning to do more remodeling then I suggest they don't waste $$ on a sub-panel now when I'll have to end up doing an upgrade when they start their next "phase" of remodeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.