Taping Wire Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
Don't you ever come in after someone else and see their work? It is done a lot. Is it necessary, that is sometimes a debate. I think it is not - only justification for me is if there is bare conductor exposed, but to me that is also reason (most of the time) to trim conductors and re connect them. Some think it keeps water or corrosive elements out, I think it just helps keep it in once it gets there.

GUNNING

Sometimes

Sometimes

I have read that if there is vibration present like on a motor butt or on equipment that vibrates taping is the proscribed method to ensure the wire nut does not work loose.

I also have seen a LOT of homeowner work done that ends in taping the wire nut and it is a red flag to look for other amateur work. Normally Buccanan wire nuts are the culprit. Nothing against Buccanan but there isn't a skirt on the connector and if you are not practiced or read the instructions close enough tape will be necessary to cover the un insulated conductor that shows out the bottom..

Of course the prescribed remedy for exposed copper conductor is tape. It isn't to cover up bad technique but to insulate. As for taped wire nuts there isn't anything in the instructions. Spec sheets are a different subject all together.:slaphead:

kwired

Electron manager
Taping over wirenuts just shows that the person that put the connection together doesn't trust their own work.

I think it is mostly because they have been misled to believe that this practice is necessary. Both pros and ameteurs do it sometimes.

kwired

Electron manager
I have read that if there is vibration present like on a motor butt or on equipment that vibrates taping is the proscribed method to ensure the wire nut does not work loose.

I have a customer with a motor mounted on a sifter, the sole purpose is to make vibration to make the sifter work. Never have had wire nuts come off in this motor but always have to stuff the box with something to keep them from rattling around otherwise they will wear holes in the connectors and short to the box.

dhalleron

I don't tape wire nuts as a rule.

A friend of mine with over 30 years experience in the trade tapes the terminals of most all of his receptacles and switches. I never saw the point in it and I don't do that either.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't tape wire nuts as a rule.

A friend of mine with over 30 years experience in the trade tapes the terminals of most all of his receptacles and switches. I never saw the point in it and I don't do that either.

The fact that you are not supposed to work on them while they are live makes that pointless. When it was seen as acceptable to do so it may have had some good purpose - especially when removing or installing a device from a metal box while the terminals are live.

220/221

When splicing and using a wire nut/connector is taping the around/over the wire nut ever done? THanks.

Of course it is.

1. Homewowners and handymen do it instead of simply twisting the nuts on properly.

2. Experienced electricians do it when necessary.

There are cases where wire nuts want to spin off. People have already mentions vibration areas like motors.

In my experience, it happens with stranded wire so in some cases I tape them to stay secure. I am very careful with making tight connections but I have had two cases where I came back to work I'd done to find loose nuts on #12 stranded connections.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

Proscribe: to condemn or forbid as harmful or unlawful : prohibit

Is that what you meant to say? I don't normally nitpick over spelling/typos, but from context it appears to me that you meant the opposite of what you wrote.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Perhaps this dates back to soldered connections. When the new "wire nuts" came out no one could belive something so simple could work so well, and we just kept the tape. Or perhaps some of the early wire nuts were not so great...

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Of course it is.

1. Homewowners and handymen do it instead of simply twisting the nuts on properly.

2. Experienced electricians do it when necessary.

There are cases where wire nuts want to spin off. People have already mentions vibration areas like motors.

In my experience, it happens with stranded wire so in some cases I tape them to stay secure. I am very careful with making tight connections but I have had two cases where I came back to work I'd done to find loose nuts on #12 stranded connections.

There are a few wire nuts that have different capacities for stranded. For instance, a Buchanan WT41 is good for 4 number 12 solids, but only 3 number 12 stranded.

I have found that when using stranded wire, extra care must be taken AND a decent brand of wire nut must be used. Some just don't bite stranded wire and you end up with what looks like a little 'elf hat' of wire as you pull the nut straight off.

If you twist a good, properly sized wire nut on stranded wire perfectly, it should be nearly impossible to twist it back off as the internal spring will act like a ratchet. I have actually had to cut wire nuts off stranded wire because they simply would not back off. If simple vibration can cause a wire nut to come off, it was not put on correctly, it was a crappy brand or it was not sized properly.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the splice is done correctly there is no need for the tape. In many cases it screams of an amateur or DIY connection.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I think I'll keep taping my motor connections even if some think it's amateur and diy'erish. Maybe I've been doing it all for nothing, but I haven't lost a motor yet and don't plan to start.

BTW, I use Ideal Reds and Tan twisters. Anything bigger than that gets insulated taps.

kwired

Electron manager
I think I'll keep taping my motor connections even if some think it's amateur and diy'erish. Maybe I've been doing it all for nothing, but I haven't lost a motor yet and don't plan to start.

BTW, I use Ideal Reds and Tan twisters. Anything bigger than that gets insulated taps.

Do you tape the insulated taps also?:D

hurk27

Perhaps this dates back to soldered connections. When the new "wire nuts" came out no one could believe something so simple could work so well, and we just kept the tape. Or perhaps some of the early wire nuts were not so great...

I think you are about the closest to the truth I have seen yet, early wirenut didn't have the spring insert that digs into the wire connection keeping a constant pressure on the connection if done properly, back when I first started in the trade we still were using ceramic and Bakelite wire nuts that were left over from a gone era, these did not stay on a connection very well and any vibration would work them loose in no time, so we had to tape our wire nuts, as for motors we would not even think of using them as even with tape they would still fall off, the preferred method for motors back then (and still now in many plants) is to use Sta-Kons and nuts and bolts with rubber tape and cambric tape to prevent wear through, but many seasoned electricians will still tape a wire nut connection even though they have long been not needed, I believe its just a past down method that seems to not go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.