Grounding Electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tebow

A residential service uses a 1/0 THW aluminum conductors. The minimum size aluminum grounding electrode conductor for this installation would be a? Section 250.66 says a #6, but the answer that was given is a #4??

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
A residential service uses a 1/0 THW aluminum conductors. The minimum size aluminum grounding electrode conductor for this installation would be a? Section 250.66 says a #6, but the answer that was given is a #4??

I'll take a stab at that. The book is wrong. :happyyes:

I think you missed with your stab.:p You need a #4 for aluminum conductors, #6 is for copper.

gndrod

Wait a minute. Dennis might be correct. The question is unanswerable since the grounding electrode is not defined??

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I might agree as we don't know if it's copper or Al. I use AL all the time for the Service but never use Al for the GEC.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Wait a minute. Dennis might be correct. The question is unanswerable since the grounding electrode is not defined??

I might agree as we don't know if it's copper or Al. I use AL all the time for the Service but never use Al for the GEC.
With a 1/0 AL SE, do you know of any instance in which you can use an AL GEC smaller than #6...??? :happysad::happysad::happysad:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I didn't say unanswerable I said the book was wrong because #4 is not the correct answer. I believe my answer is correct.

gndrod

I didn't say unanswerable I said the book was wrong because #4 is not the correct answer. I believe my answer is correct.
I now agree, regardless of SE being mentioned, I see what you are saying. The 1/0 AL being used for the residential service would be for 125 A, accordingly the GEC could be #6 AL per 250.66.

Status
Not open for further replies.